There are newer employer reviews for Silicon Graphics International

nice company but doesn't exist anymore...

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

good pay, friendly people, good manager, nice working environment, reasonable work load, used to be big, so if you mention your company, a lot of people know the name.

Cons

higher level of management is not good, waste of money, a lot of politics, so it used to be big but eventually went bankrupt, and never exist as older one anymore.

the older sgi does not exist anymore, hope the new sgi is different, and don't waste as much money as older one.

53 Other Employee Reviews for Silicon Graphics International (View Most Recent)

Has had its fifteen minutes of fame.

Former Employee - 3D Graphics Programmer in New Delhi (India)
    Former Employee - 3D Graphics Programmer in New Delhi (India)

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

For working on whatever little is left of the once legendary graphics team. These days it is a decent place for hardware engineers/computer architects looking for a systems manufacturer. I guess Sun is the hottest place to be (with their Niagara), but SGI isn't too bad either.

Cons

The company has been in downsizing mode forever. No real new products, especially on the graphics side. MIPS has been spun off and the OS and compiler related work is gone. The only part left is the high performance computing - mostly about selling the hardware - not a complete package. So it is a dead end for software engineers.

Should have focused more on the gaming aspect of graphics.

Interesting but could have been more challenging.

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Longmont, CO

I worked at Silicon Graphics International as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Management was friendly and helpful in regards to an up and coming engineering intern. Products were unique and interesting once created.

Cons

Work was very one directional, rarely left my desk. I believe that being involved in a more serious capacity would have remedied this issue though.

There are newer employer reviews for Silicon Graphics International