There are newer employer reviews for Silicon Valley Bank

Great place to work

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Newton, MA
Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Newton, MA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank

Pros

Great culture and people. We work hard and play hard.

Cons

The Boston office is not too large so there are limited opportunities as you move up in your career.

reviews filtered by

Do not work here

Former Employee - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank

Pros

The staff are wonderful, try hard, care, and are like family. Everyone works 80+ hours to get the job done.

Cons

This is for IT Project Management. They have a "framework" that is "flexible". But when you try to deviate from the framework, they say you can't do it. The framework has "stage gates" that impede on project delivery. If one document isn't completed, you fail your stage gate and progress cannot continue. They require live signatures, then you physically scan the document, and save it on a shared drive. Ever heard of esignatures and SharePoint?!? I felt like I was working for a company back in 1980, not "Silicon" Valley Bank. Then they generate a "red" list for every project that is late, even though the process was the one that made it late. And the list is frequently incorrect with the wrong PM assignment on it. If you miss one milestone, management will come down hard on you with a series of meetings all the while, you told management three months ago of the issue and they did nothing about it. FINGER POINTING CULTURE. Some people work from home or work alternative schedules but when you ask to work from home because someone died or you have the flu, the answer is no. Inconsistent policies. Worse, after all this, they frequently have announcements like "good news, I took away one required doc you have to fill out" "but I added four new ones you have to do". What kind of good news is that? Then they "grandfather" required documents "starting today and for all project three years ago". So resources scramble to meet the audit instead of focusing on delivering the project. Again, management comes down on you for working overtime or not meeting your dates when they are the obstacle to begin with. It's a no win situation. I've not learned anything during my time there that is marketable. It was a waste of my career progression.

If you want projects to succeed, stop grandfathering requirements for projects that are closed. If folks raise an issue, help us resolve it, not just ask "did you do everything in your power to resolve this before wasting my time?" Of course! Sending one email explaining a 35 step process doesn't mean we understand it and when a question is asked, don't say how dumb we are. Be consistent with policies. It's very obvious who is the favorite.

2. The people are great.

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank

Pros

One of the best reasons is the flexibility. The management team is also good at communicating most of the important information to employees.

Cons

Not everyone is qualified to be in their current positions and with the market the way it's trending their skills (or lack thereof) will show.

To the management team: know that compensation is generally below market so stay flexible and keep up the positive culture.

There are newer employer reviews for Silicon Valley Bank