There are newer employer reviews for Silicon Valley Bank

A roller coaster of experiences

Current Employee - Business Initiative Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Business Initiative Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank

Pros

flexibility
great benefits
always something new
great respect to our clients

Cons

bank mentality - this could be good sometimes though

keep rocking!

110 Other Employee Reviews for Silicon Valley Bank (View Most Recent)

Great experience on the UK Branch program. Management restructuring not so good.

Former Employee - Senior IT Project Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank

Pros

There are really great people that do the day-to-day work. The company is very selective about hiring the best people they can find.

Cons

The defined processes can be overkill and should be streamlined. IT project managers should be able to provide very loose milestone dates until more is known about all the interdependent tasks and about external influences on the projects.

Portfolio managers should not be directly involved in projects. They have program managers between them and the project managers to handle that. I'm not sure why portfolio managers AND program managers are required. Seems a little management heavy.

Do not work here

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank

Pros

The staff are wonderful, try hard, care, and are like family. Everyone works 80+ hours to get the job done.

Cons

This is for IT Project Management. They have a "framework" that is "flexible". But when you try to deviate from the framework, they say you can't do it. The framework has "stage gates" that impede on project delivery. If one document isn't completed, you fail your stage gate and progress cannot continue. They require live signatures, then you physically scan the document, and save it on a shared drive. Ever heard of esignatures and SharePoint?!? I felt like I was working for a company back in 1980, not "Silicon" Valley Bank. Then they generate a "red" list for every project that is late, even though the process was the one that made it late. And the list is frequently incorrect with the wrong PM assignment on it. If you miss one milestone, management will come down hard on you with a series of meetings all the while, you told management three months ago of the issue and they did nothing about it. FINGER POINTING CULTURE. Some people work from home or work alternative schedules but when you ask to work from home because someone died or you have the flu, the answer is no. Inconsistent policies. Worse, after all this, they frequently have announcements like "good news, I took away one required doc you have to fill out" "but I added four new ones you have to do". What kind of good news is that? Then they "grandfather" required documents "starting today and for all project three years ago". So resources scramble to meet the audit instead of focusing on delivering the project. Again, management comes down on you for working overtime or not meeting your dates when they are the obstacle to begin with. It's a no win situation. I've not learned anything during my time there that is marketable. It was a waste of my career progression.

If you want projects to succeed, stop grandfathering requirements for projects that are closed. If folks raise an issue, help us resolve it, not just ask "did you do everything in your power to resolve this before wasting my time?" Of course! Sending one email explaining a 35 step process doesn't mean we understand it and when a question is asked, don't say how dumb we are. Be consistent with policies. It's very obvious who is the favorite.

There are newer employer reviews for Silicon Valley Bank

Worked for Silicon Valley Bank? Contribute to the Community!