There are newer employer reviews for Silicon Valley Bank

Learn a lot, work with high profile tech and life science deals.

Current Employee - Associate II  in  Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Associate II in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Exciting to be working with fast growing tech and life science companies that are backed by some of the top VCs in the market. No deal is the same. You'll learn a lot about the role of debt and equity in Corp Finance and will get a lot of exposure to the local market.

Overall compensation and benefits were good, but not amazing. Salary was one of the weaker points as it was slightly below market, especially if you want to live in the downtown area of the nearest city rather than a suburb. Vacation, health, 401k match, bonus made up for it. Also, flexibility in work schedule.

Work load fluctuated with deal flow. Some days you'll work late and have to be plugged in responding to emails at all hours. Other times you can take a long lunch and focus on your own networking or career development.

The people are all good to work with.

Cons

Commercial bank means you'll be fitting each deal into the bank's credit matrix. The deals are not as far out on the risk curve as one might expect, particularly for a bank working with companies operating at a high risk, high growth stage. Less strategic operating involvement with companies as well. Understand what you are getting into, as this is not a VC or PE.

Smaller offices in smaller VC markets might not give you the growth trajectory or career opportunities you are looking for. Boston, Boulder and Santa Clara are the big offices and it often felt like young employees in these offices got promoted faster and got more diverse opportunities than those in the other smaller offices. Promotions in smaller offices tended to be based on vacancies above.

Generic "do more" feedback during reviews was not constructive, particularly for junior employees looking to move up. Specific, quantifiable goals would be better and keep people more engaged.

110 Other Employee Reviews for Silicon Valley Bank (View Most Recent)

Great bank, subpar middle management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Get to work with great clients
    - Great camaraderie with fellow co workers
    - Good benefits
    - Pay is competitive

Cons

- Middle management is ineffective
    - Lack of strategic direction for non lending units
    - Does not pay attention to career growth

Do something of the ineffective middle management

SVB is like family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I started as a contractor and was able to land a full time job. Throughout the years I was able to work my way up and be asked to relocate to the Tempe office and be a part of mgmt. I feel so honored to be working for such a great company. I see myself retiring from SVB as they have been on an upswing and growing with so many opportunities.

Cons

We are still learning to grow as a company yet keep that small company feel. Its a good thing but sometimes I wonder if they are biting more than they can handle.

Keep up the good work as I trust and cherish their leadership.

There are newer employer reviews for Silicon Valley Bank

Worked for Silicon Valley Bank? Contribute to the Community!