There are newer employer reviews for Silicon Valley Bank

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

Relationship oriented, really care about people. Very talented and smart teams. Always something new happening so lots to learn.

Cons

Hours can be long.

Focused and deliberate strategy is appreciated.

114 Other Employee Reviews for Silicon Valley Bank (View Most Recent)

Our CIO is TERRIBLE

Current Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and pay along with flex work hours

Cons

Our CIO Beth Devin has turned out to be a nightmare. I used to be filled with hope when she first joined a year + back, but she has steadily proven through her actions that she doesn't have a clue--and doesn't care to get a clue. She let go one of our best senior leaders in engineering recently and that seems to be the nail in the coffin. He was the only one seemingly with a vision as our CIO keeps flip flopping from one priority to another depending on the week. Now, nobody in the senior management team is trustworthy and they are all tainted--everyone is scared and out for themselves at the expense of the company and IT which is the real tragedy unfolding here. The CIO actually gave a speech after she made her "breath of fresh air" moves that if your not with her on her latest moves, get out of the company. Inspiring. Great values. Message: agree with me or get fired. Others in the company who are really outstanding contributors and know their stuff are getting sidelined and marginalized---a disaster in the making as they scramble for the exits. Who is going to be left to do the work? Im sure the CIO will continue to blame others for her own failures as she likes to prattle on constantly about taking more ownership and accountability yet doesn't follow her own rules. The two posts on here applauding the CIO are very poorly done plants--its well known in IT that she asked her remaining leadership team to post positive items due to prospective recruits reading what is really going on. Don't listen to them, IT is truly hell. CIO has done nothing in over a year except demotivate and disrupt the entire IT operation. Her new hires in management are weak--either know nothing about IT or are slow, scared, and ineffective. Don't know much about the last CIO, but it had to have been better than this!

Clearly, fire your CIO and save IT. At the same time, hold your COO accountable as well---he is the mover behind the scenes allowing this nightmare to begin and continue. CEO needs to be more involved and accountable.

Surprised by the "Fresh of Breath Air" review, because IT really stinks. Time for IT Employees to speak up.

Current Employee - Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Our CEO Greg puts employees and SVB's clients first. He thinks that employees are true assets. But lets talk about the IT, since it really is a place that stinks because of its CIO.

Cons

I was really surprised by the positive reviews here, as it looks like somebody is smoking weeds here. I am even suspecting these reviews are written by the CIO herself or her close aids. The reality is that breath after all is not so fresh, particularly when nothing has been done after a year. It actually stinks.

In past few years, IT organization was not perfect, but it was working well enough to make SVB successful. But the new CIO ruined it all. By the name of change, she has created a culture where no one can question her, a culture which promotes difference between new vs old employees. She thinks that anyone who has been here before her is incompetent, and does not want to change. The reality is that she has no skills to recognize true talent or manage any kind of organizational change. Because of her, IT in its current state stinks.

She complains about old employees and IT as a whole as if she is an outsider. She never even attempted to learn IT, the team or what was actually done. This IT team is the same team who worked extra ordinarily hard to open SVB's 2 international branches in China and UK. And the true recognition is that branch in China was opened in a record time, while the UK was one of the most complex operation ever. But she continues to see this team as a bad team, and team who resist change but over here work speaks for itself. These employees had delivered truly amazing stuff.

Now look at her record. What has she done in last one year? This question has been asked constantly in many reviews. Nothing, except she continued to fire people because they challenged her. Many people think that these folks were fired because they were incompetent, but truth is they challenged her style of work and her decisions as she continued to ruin the IT. She likes to talk, and just talk without substance, because she has nothing tangible to show. So she distracts business by bad mouthing her own team.
    All negative reviews speaks collectively of who she really is.

Now let's some talk about Old Vs New Employees.

Something about Old Employees - these are the same IT employees who worked very hard in making this company successful. Worked hard enough that even during the greatest recession after the great depression, SVB continued to grow and earned profit. So one day, new employees can come and join this organization, and be part of SVB's growth story. Our own CEO has been here for more than 2 decades, does it mean he is incompetent too?

Message to New Employees (Well, I am not that old either) - Ask yourself, if you really think you were joining a team of incompetent people, if so then why did you even join? What problems were you hired to solve? If you think you are such a true reformist, the only company you chose to join was SVB! Really? Please look within before you point fingers. Respect the fact, that you are given an opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds. I am not saying all are good and best, but this is how teams are formed all across the world even in the most successful organizations. Let me not question you, because I know you all new hires bring amazing talent to this company and has good intentions but think about it. Do you really think that the person who was your onboarding buddy, who welcomed you to SVB, who helped you understand the company, who helped you understand the technology stack, and shared who is who of this company, is a stupid!!!!! Its a great compliment to have this good mix, while these employees working together to take this company to next stage and not create new vs old culture. Please don't fall for new vs old debate just because the CIO is so damn incompetent. Because she just creating a distraction. Don't consider her new anymore, she has been here for more than a year now.

Many of the IT Employees who have been here will tell you that almost everyone has worked 15-16 hours daily, weekend after weekend to make this company successful. Not because they were being paid, but because they always care. They care for SVB, they care for SVB's clients and care for each other.

I wish if I could recommend this company to my friend, but IT at its current stage stinks. So unless this is resolved please stay away.

I would request every IT employee to stand up and raise their voice. I know you are reading this, so use the power of social media and let the management know that its time to Fire the incompetent CIO and save IT.

Please save IT. It is a great company, so please do something about IT before its too late. And before we all started to look for a job outside.

There are newer employer reviews for Silicon Valley Bank