There are newer employer reviews for Silicon Valley Bank

IT has gone from being a decent place to total misery

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  Tempe, AZ
Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive pay package/salary
Flexible time away from work policy

Cons

Agree with all the reviews stated before. CIO has completely lost it. She is clueless about how to run an IT shop. Fired 2 Leadership team members this week, after promoting both of them 5 months back. How can someone be so fickle minded. Apparently they were not exhibiting OneIT culture and whatever that means. One of them was known to express his dissent if he didn't agree with her opinions. The clear message is that you either suck up to her and not have your own opinion, or leave the bank.

Don't think we even need her, she is never around for her employees anywyas. She is either attending conferences or going around bad mouthing IT to the business. How messed up we were before and how this transformational journey is going to take us to the moon. Someone should question what has she accomplished in the last one year. Besides completely messing up the morale of the team.

Advice to COO: you need to take over IT. You have appointed a leader who is totally clueless and creating a culture worse than what we had before. Intervene now before it's too late.

110 Other Employee Reviews for Silicon Valley Bank (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

Relationship oriented, really care about people. Very talented and smart teams. Always something new happening so lots to learn.

Cons

Hours can be long.

Focused and deliberate strategy is appreciated.

Warning! While business side may be good, IT is becoming hell!

Current Employee - Does Not Matter  in  Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Does Not Matter in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

SVB as a company takes proud in their clients, our CEO, an amazing leader, makes every attempt to communicate and let the employees know that SVB is all about clients and their success, and everything else will simply follow suit. It is a unique place, unique business model, provides a unique business experience but its all true if you are on the business side, however as soon as you come to IT you enter in hell.

Cons

While I have many positives to say for business side, including client focus and the CEO, I am an ITer and therefore my review is mostly focus on IT. The current CIO is clueless, inexperienced and has no vision or direction. Once not so perfect but stable and high performing IT team is completely demoralized now. She (CIO) started the re-org and could not finish it in more than a year now. Its chaos all over. No one, absolutely no one, in IT knew what their new role would be, what job responsibilities, if its changed or not and how does it affect them; except that she continue to say to keep focusing on work. Really!! Which work? The new, the old or something in the middle?
    She also started something called Fit for Future IT, which was primarily focused on IT off-shoring and outsourcing analysis, and she many times told employees that she would share result by Nov 2013, but here we are after many many months and there are no results so far.
    She does not take decisions, or let me say it this way, she takes a decision but no one knows how tomorrow will change it again and she may want something completely different. Completely clueless and directionless!!
    On her F3IT initiative, she has asked IT Management to covert contractors to employees, with no headcount approval what so ever. So then how? Well, just hire employees as long as your budget does not increase. She does not get a a simple formula that when a manager wants to covert an offshore contractor position to FTE, its at least 3-4 times cost? So who the hell will take care of the additional 3 headcounts worth of work load? Now why this is imp to share? Because while she expects something to be done, there is no thinking behind it. In other words she is inexperienced.

She constantly bad mouth IT to business. I wonder is she really a CIO or actually a CBO (just invented a new term Chief Business Officer to IT). She believes in blaming IT. Business side in any company anyways never encourages IT anyways, and consider it as a cost center, its no different in SVB but last thing we needed was that a CIO also does the same thing, rather than re-positioning IT to business as an active partner.

She is now talking about changing the whole online banking strategy, and let me predict something it will be a disaster under her leadership, because she is not a leader.
    If you are looking to come to GDB (Global digital Banking) group, please run away from SVB IT and if you do not I wish you good luck! She messages this strategy as if the world hunger will be resolved after that, but my question is that while she could not even deliver a few simple things forget about delivering something so big. Someone who could actually do it, just got fired, because she does not like people challenging her. I thought first lesson of leadership is to make sure you keep your smart people and critics closer, well no she fires them. That's why every employee is scared of even taking and openly sharing the feedback to her or anyone in her circle. Behind close doors people talk about their frustrations, whereas in front of her everyone is smiling, wearing the fake mask. She openly says either you are ready for this change or you can leave the org. I don't understand how to be part of this change when there is no direction.

Many of the employees will leave the job tomorrow, but so many of us still have hope that Sr. Management will soon notice it and do something about it.

In 2014, she took 4 months to set IT goals and then when employees were supposed to write their goals and align with IT goals, they were given a week. Phew!

I can go on and on, but if you are thinking of joining IT, let me tell you, as long as we have same CIO (joined in May 2013) , let me warn you again, IT is becoming hell, so do yourself a favor and look for the job somewhere else. We have a very weak IT Leadership now, who just knows how to suck up to her to survive. Leaders who could do something are already fired.

Don't join this hell. God please save IT.

Please please ask the CIO, what has she done in last one year. And I am sure when you ask, she will just have superficial answers. Notice it please. What are her accomplishments?

OK fine, IT was and will never be perfect overall, but can someone please evaluate her individual performance?

Mr. CEO and COO, please do something. IT employees are choking, and you need to take action now or your globalization strategy is at high risk, since IT employee's morale is all time low. Its only a matter of time before it will be too late to fix IT without avoiding the broader impact.

There are newer employer reviews for Silicon Valley Bank

Worked for Silicon Valley Bank? Contribute to the Community!