There are newer employer reviews for Silicon Valley Bank

Global Services is a place of fear and loathing

Current Employee - Global Operations in Tempe, AZ
Current Employee - Global Operations in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

its a job, the company has an interesting niche

Cons

Too numerous to list, but here it goes. Our COO is very smart (knows operational banking backwards and forwards but he has an unfortunate mean streak that everyone is now clued into) however he is making devastating hiring calls within global services. Is it his ego driving it? He has appointed a CIO that has ruined IT--its a company wide joke. Im glad I don't work in the IT department and have to listen to her all the time like my IT colleagues. Total wind bag who fired a really good senior leader for not "transforming" our online banking system. I think he had like two months. Funny thing is everyone that ive talked to who was actually doing work on the online team really thought a huge difference had been made. Oh well, welcome to the new SVB---your FIRED!
The COO has appointed a head of global banking operations that almost everyone hates working for. He is a dreamer, talks big and thinks by talking everyone around him will magically make it happen. When things don't go as expected, he blames his team and technology partners. Message to this guy: its not bank of America, you don't have the budget or personnel to bridge the gap of your lack of tactical knowhow. The bottom line is the COO is very good at the details and vision, he doesn't hire well and doesn't understand that he needs inspiring leaders who people respect and want to follow, not leaders who prescribe to "the beatings will continue until morale improves" mantra. Its too late in IT, its to damaged thanks to the depredations of the new CIO. Still time to get the global operations group on track but the window is closing.

CEO, you have a mess frankly of your own making to clean up. You have given your COO to much power and unfortunately he has messed up huge areas of your bank. Clearly, you don't know much about the technology and operations areas and felt comfortable letting your COO do as he pleases but my god man, its all falling down around you while you schedule town halls. You need to go a little deeper and farther than just talking to your senior leaders who are actually the problem to start with. Do your job and clean up the COO, CIO, and HGO. Your accountable.

114 Other Employee Reviews for Silicon Valley Bank (View Most Recent)

Great company to work for. Visionary Team

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

Excellent core values. Benefits and Comps. Growth story. excellent opportunities for people with the right mindset.

Cons

Fast growing company with lots of work and less people to do it.

Keep up the good work on the re org. Follow through.

Our CIO is TERRIBLE

Current Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and pay along with flex work hours

Cons

Our CIO Beth Devin has turned out to be a nightmare. I used to be filled with hope when she first joined a year + back, but she has steadily proven through her actions that she doesn't have a clue--and doesn't care to get a clue. She let go one of our best senior leaders in engineering recently and that seems to be the nail in the coffin. He was the only one seemingly with a vision as our CIO keeps flip flopping from one priority to another depending on the week. Now, nobody in the senior management team is trustworthy and they are all tainted--everyone is scared and out for themselves at the expense of the company and IT which is the real tragedy unfolding here. The CIO actually gave a speech after she made her "breath of fresh air" moves that if your not with her on her latest moves, get out of the company. Inspiring. Great values. Message: agree with me or get fired. Others in the company who are really outstanding contributors and know their stuff are getting sidelined and marginalized---a disaster in the making as they scramble for the exits. Who is going to be left to do the work? Im sure the CIO will continue to blame others for her own failures as she likes to prattle on constantly about taking more ownership and accountability yet doesn't follow her own rules. The two posts on here applauding the CIO are very poorly done plants--its well known in IT that she asked her remaining leadership team to post positive items due to prospective recruits reading what is really going on. Don't listen to them, IT is truly hell. CIO has done nothing in over a year except demotivate and disrupt the entire IT operation. Her new hires in management are weak--either know nothing about IT or are slow, scared, and ineffective. Don't know much about the last CIO, but it had to have been better than this!

Clearly, fire your CIO and save IT. At the same time, hold your COO accountable as well---he is the mover behind the scenes allowing this nightmare to begin and continue. CEO needs to be more involved and accountable.

There are newer employer reviews for Silicon Valley Bank