Silver Spring Networks Inc.

www.silverspringnet.com
  www.silverspringnet.com
There are newer employer reviews for Silver Spring Networks Inc.

A Fast Improving Company with Great Vision and Products

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Silver Spring Networks Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Proud to be a part of company that truly cares about changing the energy use. Smart grid is not about getting rid of the meter man, but provides the ability to conserve energy by dynamic pricing, dynamic response and stabilize the grid via distribution automation. I also like where the company is going with smart city initiative and providing the network for street lights, traffic lights, etc. This will be a game changer. I agree that management had problems last couple years, but is recognizing the issues and working actively to address them by putting the right people in charge and implementing good processes.

Cons

Lots of exciting products with too little people. It could be a bit chaotic at times. Contract awards do take a long time due to the nature of the business.

Continue to improve and put right people in charge and listen to the employees. Prioritize on projects that give the biggest bang for the buck. Vision is great, but execution is everything.

57 Other Employee Reviews for Silver Spring Networks Inc. (View Most Recent)

Tremendous opportunity to take part in changing the world

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Silver Spring Networks Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Silver Spring Networks is undertaking an ambitious effort to enable large-scale conversations about energy and consumption in a way that has never been attempted before. Working at this company is an opportunity to get in early with not only a disruptive technology, but also a technological approach to energy efficiency. If you want to help us reduce energy consumption, increase electric grid efficiency, and become more responsive when disaster strikes, while maintaining a high standard of living in our society, this is the right place for you!

Cons

Customers of Silver Spring Network are Utilities, and like any large company, Utilities have a great deal of internal political friction that makes things move slowly and sometimes unpredictably. They also are very conservative in how they roll out new technology. This culture leaks over to SSN's culture, and it cannot be avoided. However if one keeps in mind the big picture, that SSN is slowly but surely making major changes to the very fabric of our modern technological society, then the culture of the customers is simply an annoying but necessary fact of life.

Upper management does have a tendency to be insular and somewhat silent. The workers of the company are kept abreast of possible deals, necessary direction, and general strategy, but more could and should be done to make everyone feel like they are part of the beating heart of the company.

Company operates at 150mph+. Works for me.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

Pros

The people these days all care about the company. They're all trying to just get the job done. Whatever it takes attitude is consistent amongst most of the folks I deal with everyday.

Cons

Need to be better about setting priorities correctly. Not everything needs to be done yesterday and assigned a HIGH priority value.

Take a minute and listen to the ideas of the folks reporting into you. A lot of smart folks with great ideas that just need to be listened to.

There are newer employer reviews for Silver Spring Networks Inc.