Silverleaf Resorts

www.silverleafresorts.com

Not bad for a timeshare company, but sales in this market is tough.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Albany, NY

ProsMet some really good people there that I still keep in touch with. Get to interact with lots of people every day and get outside at some fun festivals, fairs, and concerts over the summer. Generally not too much oversight and management more or less leaves you alone to do your job (with some exceptions). Overall I'd say it is not the best job ever, but I have also had my fair share of worse ones as well. Just don't expect to make a career out of it though.

ConsJust as there were some good people there, there were also a handful of horrible people there as well. There were some bitchy, mean, cut-throat people who worked there that would pull pranks and act childish. (The worst part was that some of the most childish people were in management.) The hourly pay rate wasn't too bad ($10/hr), but sales commissions sucked at this company. Whereas in many sales jobs you get a base salary + commission, here they paid you either your hourly wage OR your commission, whichever was bigger. So, if you weren't selling every second of every day, you weren't making any decent money. That's also when management will eventually let you go after a couple months of poor sales figures. They want you to be writing sales at least 40% of the time you are working, which is unrealistic in many of the locations they put you. (In other words, if you work 8 hours in a day, they expect you to have 3-4 sales minimum. I know that may not sound like a lot, but often times it is near impossible to even get 1 sale in a day.) Also, sometimes management will come to spy on you (especially when working at malls) to be sure you are "doing your job" and not just talking amongst yourselves. This can be annoying at times, but generally is only detrimental if you slack-off at work and don't do anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't micro-manage people and spy on them (or get others to spy on them for you). Don't play childish pranks on your employees or encourage others to engage in such behavior as well as it creates a hostile workplace and opens yourself up to a potential lawsuit. (For some stupid reason, one of their favorite pastimes at this company is trying to punch each other in the groin. They also enjoy flinging things at each other, from rubber bands to beads.) Also, the salary OR commission pay structure is idiotic and cheats people out of their earned pay. Also, it is easy for your "top salespeople" to perform when you give them cushy slots, but for those who are new and just starting out, you can't get any sales at lousy venues with no people and that is where they always seem to stick you for the first year or so (if you can even last that long). The place is a revolving door with a high turnover rate and as such they invest ZERO on training and teaching you how to properly sell, so it is a sink or swim environment with a lot of dead bodies floating in the pool.

There is no honor among thieves.

Vacation Sales Representative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

I worked at Silverleaf Resorts full-time for less than a year

Pros: This job is ok for a high school student. Guaranteed… Cons: This company is a great big scam! They lie and rip off customers by selling a dream of a affordable getaways. Management is a… Advice to Senior Management: Screen and hire management that are qualified. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Guaranteed Employment But Awful

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Silverleaf Resorts part-time for less than a year

Pros: They wont fire you. They'd risk you being inefficient due to high turnover rates. Variety… Cons: Overall negative job. It is really degrading. You get paid comission or hourly. You'll never advance.… Advice to Senior Management: Make the product easier to sell. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Silverleaf Resorts.

Worked for Silverleaf Resorts? Contribute to the Community!