Simmons Bedding
www.simmons.com Atlanta, GA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Upper Management has no clue what the job entails and refuses to listen to fact

Credit Manager - Hospitality Sales (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Simmons Bedding as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe company does allow employees to flex their work hours. Since I live in Lawrenceville and traffic between there and Concourse is UGLY during rush hour, I was able to come in early (most days I was in by 6am) and was able to leave by 4pm so my commute was only 1.5 hours total per day instead of probably twice that. That's really the only "pro" I can give.

ConsManagement doesn't listen to their employees. I was brought in to fill a position where the former employee had been let go after 10 years in the position. It was a mess and I was asked to fix it. I have 18 years experience in Fortune 500 corporate automotive finance companies and pride myself on my work ethic and organizational skills. It amazed me how many problems I uncovered in my 6.5 months there and when I presented them to management, they had no clue the problems even existed and had no concern about providing resources to help me fix them. It became very obvious that as long as customers or sales reps weren't complaining, management paid no attention to the department I was overseeing. They definitely had no concern as to the toll the job was taking on my health and well being. In my time at Simmons, I received just shy of 14K emails and sent close to 7K, most of which were "urgent" and all of the work was very time sensitive. I had to quit 4 months into the position to convince management I needed help because the volume was more than 1 person could handle, even though I had been telling them that since I started. I worked 10 hour days (I wasn't allowed to work more than that) and was never able to make any real progress in the backlog of issues due to the daily volume. I was given 1 person to help (to keep me from quitting) and she was constantly pulled to help with other departments, which just made our backlog grow. After the stress level of the job and the uber fast pace I had been working for 6.5 months had negative effects on my health and life outside of work, I decided that it was best to quit even though I had no job lined up. I was very afraid the stress of the position would lead to my having a heart attack and since I was a contract worker, I only had the insurance I was paying for myself. When I sent a very long email to management announcing my departure and spelling out in detail the volume, issues, etc of the department, I was given a 4 minute meeting with the director of the department (a person with no credit & collections background who has no desire to learn about the department she oversees and has absolutely zero concern for her employees as human beings) who proceeded to insult me in that brief meeting. Aside from the 100+ emails I received daily, I also reviewed 150+ sales orders daily to see if they could be released from credit hold. On top of that, there were hundreds of accounts with unaddressed overpayments dating back 4 years still open on accounts and millions in past due invoices, none of which I had any time to address due to the daily volume of work. I also sent my resignation email to HR and they didn't bother to respond. Since I left 3 weeks ago, my name has been disparaged by management in meetings even though I was the one who put processes and procedures in place to make the work flow more organized. I advised in my resignation email that the area needed 5-6 people full time to get all of the issues corrected and cleaned up. In the 2.5 weeks since I left, the number of people working the area has grown from 2 to 4. Guess they realized I wasn't lying.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are too hands off with the base level operations of the company. I have no clue how you can "run" the company while having no clue or concern about how it actually runs. Simmons has huge issues that if not fixed are only going to cause larger issues down the line. If the IRS were to audit Simmons right now, the results would be disastrous.

The people that actually do the work are great people. The production manager on the other hand is a complete idiot.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Springfield, MA

I worked at Simmons Bedding full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Not much to say other than you get a decent… Cons: Hours are too long. 5 to 5. Production manager is a complete fool. This is a manufacturing company… Advice to Senior Management: This is not the military get people in upper management that are friendly… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are missed opportunities for upper management to understand the whole company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Simmons Bedding full-time

Pros: There are many wonderful people that worked at Simmons while I was there… Cons: There are some managers that are quite dis-engaged with the company. These managers only… Advice to Senior Management: Management needs to have less focus on the 10,000 foot view of the company and actually meet… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Simmons Bedding.

Worked for Simmons Bedding? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Simmons Bedding reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Simmons Bedding CEO Gary T. Fazio. All reviews posted anonymously by Simmons Bedding employees.