There are newer employer reviews for SimplexGrinnell

Great sales job but comes with typical corporate mentality

Former Employee - Electronic Systems Sales Representative
Former Employee - Electronic Systems Sales Representative

I worked at SimplexGrinnell

Pros

This is a great place to learn sales. The amount of skills and sales experience I received in the 8 years I was with them were invaluable and have only helped me moving forward. Salespeople get a company car that includes gas, insurance and maintenance. Benefits are not bad (they were better years ago) and as far as pay, it's average for the industry. Each office is different and some are great and some are really bad, but overall SimplexGrinnell has a great reputation in the life safety industry. Upper management is top-notch and I had the honor to meet a lot of the people in the R&D and Engineering departments at corporate. These are the best of the best in the industry and their product is absolutely superior to the competition. You can be proud that you work for the Mercedes of the industry and there's a bit of smugness that comes along with this. This is not a bad thing! I can tell you that the competitors and the smaller guys do not like SimplexGrinnell and can only compete with them over price. This can be frustrating but the thing I liked best about SG is that we always sold VALUE. If you sell on price alone you are just a commodity and no different than the competitor.

Cons

Unfortunately, SimplexGrinnell has become your typical corporation where they say the customers come first but in reality, the bottom line was by far the most important. I would constantly hear how we need to keep the shareholders happy and a lot of times this would take precedence over the client. Almost every year, they would re-do the sales compensation plans because they felt the salespeople were making too much money. They would always say it was for OUR benefit but in reality, it always benefitted the company. Have a quota of $800k for the year and end up having a stellar year of $1.5M? Expect that next year's quote will be at least $2M, even though the only justification of this was because "you did so well last year and we know you can do it again." I can't tell you how many times we as sales people got hosed because of this. And don't expect any great sales awards or company trips unless you completely blow your number out of the water or reach 250% over your quota. Years ago they offered incentives that were actually attainable but the bar has been set so high and is so convoluted that no one knows if they'll be going on the BIG company trip until the final numbers are out at the end of the fiscal year. Moral is low because of the lack of incentives and has been a big complaint with the salespeople for many years. I don't understand why SG doesn't understand and acknowledge thus appropriately. But it is sad.

You need to offer incentives that are actually attainable. By making the bar so ridiculously high and the numbers you are looking for so convoluted, it takes the fun out of even trying to attain them. Don't kid yourselves in thinking that salespeople are motivated by just money alone. Recognition goes a long way and being acknowledged for your hard work is everything we work for. I loved getting a big commission check for closing several large orders, don't get me wrong, but it would have been fabulous to be able to go on a nice trip and be recognized for my efforts. Also, stop thinking you are saving a ton of money by offering sales training online. Employees aren't going to take an online class to learn something - it's just not going to happen. You can't replace face time with corporate instructors and being in a classroom full of peers. I can't imagine that the amount of revenue being lost due to the salespeople's lack of training isn't more than having actual classroom training - this is a shortsightedness on the company's part that nobody ever wants to acknowledge as being a problem. Your salespeople are asking for this - stop ignoring them!

120 Other Employee Reviews for SimplexGrinnell (View Most Recent)

Some things never change.....

Former Employee - Electronics Service Technician
    Former Employee - Electronics Service Technician

I worked at SimplexGrinnell

Pros

This company is huge and needs good quality people to create and enhance it's image to the potential customers. With this stated it appears there are opportunities for growth in a big way. So here is a pro.... If you can procure a position in management or upper level sales there is a possibility you will enjoy working for this company. However, if you are a seasoned and experienced field technician and you work for a competitor, don't get the "grass is greener" syndrome because it's unlikely you will ever feel valued as one of the most important elements of a service and installation oriented company here.

Cons

I worked for Simplex in the early 90's, Grinnell before the merger, and SimplexGrinnell after the merger. I worked in two different districts accross the US from each other. So this is a totally fair and accurate review. First, Grinnell was a much better company to work for. Depending on which way the merger went (some districts were absorbed by Simplex management and some by Grinnell management) vastly determined the experience as far as working for this company. Let me say this clearly, "Simplex management has always been, from the early 90's until I left, the most ego driven, arrogant group of individuals I've ever worked for." Grinnell management was a pleasure to communicate with.

Why? Grinnell had a philosophy that understood that the fire and security industry is a service and installation industry. They knew how important the people that were in front of their customers were ie; sales and field personel. They treated the people that was the face to the customer with importance and the utmost respect. Simplex on the other hand, was and still is a "top down" company. It is riddled with highly paid management that is so out of touch with what we are all really here to do, "design, engineer, sell, service, and install facility protection."

Those service techs, sales folks, installation crews, ARE THE FACE OF THE COMPANY! And let's be clear about this, SimplexGrinnell is the most expensive company out there, especially where it relates to schools, industrial, institution, and municipal accounts. So if, as a company, you are going to be the most expensive, claim to provide so much more and on a much higher level, why you would disregard, gps vehicles to steal labor, treat with disrespect, the MOST IMPORTANT ELEMENT OF YOUR COMPANY is beyond me.

The field folks and most salespeople I worked with were great people and they really cared about what they were doing. From middle management all the up has the position the FACE of the company works for them. Wow, and how backward is this.....

Who is really working for who? Unload all of the dead weight, golf by 2:00pm management and allocate some of those funds to re-creating a fun and reasonable workplace for the folks that really generate the income. Watch out how fast revenue and margin rises when the face of the company shows up in front of the customers happy and bragging about their company and employer. Hire me as a manager at any level and I will show a real life example of "who is working for who." You guys are so out of touch with your employees you have no idea what an opportunity you have to be the best in the industry. It's right in the palm of your hands and you can't get past your ego to see it. Simple as that.

Typical corporate issues

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at SimplexGrinnell

Pros

decent administrative staff, corporate name is well know across industry, many product resources available for use by sales and other staff.

Cons

high turnover, management is close minded to anything other than their own ideas,hard to deal with, cannot sell to regular clients when outside of local area

need a regional to check feedback of employees, not just the local general manager. Construction is not local so need to be able to continue work with contacts in other areas after building relationships with them. No GC wants to deal with 5 different sales reps from the same company, and no sales rep wants to lose a million $ worth of work to refer to another office 200 miles away. That's our contact and our lost commission. That's why I left.

There are newer employer reviews for SimplexGrinnell

Worked for SimplexGrinnell? Contribute to the Community!