Solid company and industry leader

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at SimplexGrinnell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Clear performance measurement system; good "salt of the earth" type people; strive for excellence

Cons

IT systems about 10 years behind; new ideas take time to take root; sometimes a "yes man" culture; employees not very diverse, especially at headquarters

take some risks; bring IT into the 21st century; encourage creativity and true diversity

Other Reviews for SimplexGrinnell

Disappointing

Former Employee - Electrictronics Project Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Electrictronics Project Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at SimplexGrinnell full-time for more than a year

Pros

The reasons are simple, Great Techs, Company Truck, adequate pay, great benifits. While being allowed free rain to come and go as you please. Who wouldn't want that?

Cons

The downside is not enough tech help, long hours, poor management, dis-organized warehouse, no means of back stocking material for emergancies, no means of hiring help for emegencies or when work load requires it, no real estimators, constant brow beatings about loosing money, the mentality that everything is either the tech's fault or someone else, to much finger pointing when things go wrong.
    And the 401k is only matching funds after a 3 year vestment period. It was never revealed to me as such and was a direct reason for my taking the job. So when you leave at 2 years and 364 days that $30k you think you are going to roll over is only $15k. THIS IS NOT RIGHT!

Get rid of the CM he's a functional alcoholic and 90% of the problem. Hire some estimators, salesmen sale and estimators should estimate, period! Throw away the GPS on the trucks and get the guys in the field some help and a raise. Shore up your warehouse and get some delivery personnel. Yes it is true; Cost is Cost, Cash is King but it is not always the PM's fault or his responsibility to fix.

Used to be proud of working for Simplex, now I'm just hoping to survive the several years I have until retirement.

Current Employee - Service Technician  in  East Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Service Technician in East Peoria, IL

I have been working at SimplexGrinnell

Pros

Pay scale is alright for a service rep. Vacation/paid time off is adequate. Enjoy working as a resident technician and basically working my territory out of my home.

Cons

The company has lost its ability to care about people, both customers and employees. The service department has been taken out of the hands of service background people and put into the hands of bean counters. Micro-management is the norm. Common sense is no longer tolerated.

I understand the profit motive as it equates to stock holders and dividends. However, we made a profit for years by putting the customer and their needs first. I've lost several 20+ year customers because it is too difficult to get through our system to set up a service call. As a manager at a large state university told me, he "didn't have 20 minutes to spare" every time he wanted to set up a service call. His time is money too. He now uses another company. Let's get common sense back into the system.

There are newer employer reviews for SimplexGrinnell.

Worked for SimplexGrinnell? Contribute to the Community!