There are newer employer reviews for Singapore Airlines

Don't waste your time, this company is anything but great...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Singapore Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people would say that flight benefits would be the biggest "pro" in the aviation industry. However, because I worked in the Houston office, our manager specifically said that we could not fly on any other carrier, in other words he wouldn't approve a letter for his employees to fly United, for example.

The "1 free ticket" a year is terrible. It's stand-by only and NEVER upgrade-able. If economy is completely booked and you are a staff trying to get on, even if there are business seats available...they will not let you on.

In other words, SIA is a TERRIBLE company, and there aren't any pros to this job what-so-ever.

Cons

I think there are too many to list.

The management is the worse part of this company. They have super smart guys that they stick all over the world for only a 2-3 year increment in order to control their relationships and management styles.

The main issue, is the amount of controlling that comes with this company. It is very discriminating to women, and even have different prices for your "1 free ticket" based on if you are a male or female.

The pay is AWFUL, they promise great bonuses at the end of each year, and yes, you do get a bonus...if the airline is making money, and at your manager's discretion.

I remember reading all of the reviews before taking the job in Houston and thinking, each company has it's faults...take my advice, don't take the job and save yourself so much time, it's not worth it.

Advice to Management

Quit paying for every Singaporean Man to get their education in order to have an "indentured servant" that you can control for the next ten years, and focus on hiring managers who really know what they are doing, especially in the sales office.

reviews filtered by
  1. Flight stewardess

I worked at Singapore Airlines full-time

Pros

Fast money in short term
    Fun for first 2 years
    Travelling the world makes your instagram look pretty exciting
    Ego boost when you tell people you're a Singapore Girl

Cons

You get lonely after a while
    You lose most friends because of your erratic schedule
    You miss birthdays, new years, important events in general if you can't change your flight.
    Since 2004 until today, the pay has dropped 45% in take home, and the trend is that they're cutting more every year.
    Hierarchical, political, and most of the time void of dignity. We are also required to be pretentious or we will be outcasted. think being in the 'a team' of highschool. and all its politics and drama.
    Is not a long term company to be in.

Advice to Management

Listen to your crew.
    Have management become a crew for 3 months, without letting the crew on board know. (because if not, it's pointless since it's hierarchical and political, and nobody will act normally)
    From here, they themselves will see the issues, and it's exceedingly easy to fix ALL of them. You just need to want to.

2. Singapore Airlines Cabin Crew

Former Employee - Flight Stewardess in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Flight Stewardess in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Singapore Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary, being able to travel around the world, nice co-workers, meet awesome peoples, stay at 5 stars hotels.

Cons

Have to stay there at least 7 years to be able to get promoted, worked with top 10 senior crew aka mentally disturbed people that u wished never exist in this world.

Advice to Management

Stop doing "cut cost" on the flights because its making crew jobs more difficult. Passenger wont understand the situations as they know exactly they can get anything they want.