Fantastic work experience

Former Contractor - Flight Attendant in Singapore (Singapore)
Former Contractor - Flight Attendant in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Singapore Airlines as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to see the world for FREE, travel almost every week to destinations you will never dream of going. You wake up in Paris one morning and New York the next. Which job will give you that opportunity? The profit-sharing bonus is also a draw every year if the company does well.

Cons

Too much politics. Disgusting turnaround flights, like Canton, Hong Kong, Hanoi, Dhaka, etc. These are flights that you can never avoid and will be seen in your roster without fail. Helplines are never answered promptly. The office staffs take too much breaks.

Other Employee Reviews for Singapore Airlines

Very Top Heavy Management that is Completely Out of Touch with Staff

I worked at Singapore Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very hard to say really. Still trying to recover from working here.

Cons

Mangement is extremely top heavy. They micro-manage everything unimportant while not managing aspects of business that are truly important. They treat their staff more like servants. This was definetely a case of the Have's and Have-Nots. If you weren't a Singaporean Male VP or above - you will be treated like a complete servant here. Really. Your professional opinion will mean nothing here. And if you're a non-management female - your even less than dirt. Even your benefits are completely different. You'll be told to do things that make no sense, are ethically compromising and be directly lied to on all kinds of levels. When their decisions turn out completely wrong - you'll get the blame. If you care enough about the company to dare speak up - they close ranks and make you sorry you were ever born. So no one ever speaks up there. Staff are made to feel terrified to give their real opinions to anyone in power. From the outside looking in this place looked like a dream to work for. I quickly found out that it was a nightmare. Many truly talented people leave the company quickly (such as myself). The ones that stay around just can't get jobs elsewhere. It doesn't take long to realize what kind of disfunctional environment exists there. I left for another airline where I've been encouraged to thrive, develop my career and am treated with dignity. No place is paradise but that place was just awful.

Advice to Management

It is sad how much damage you inflict on your staff just because you can get away with it.

A family oriented company culture which promotes excellent work-life harmony.

Former Employee - Flight Operations Executive in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Flight Operations Executive in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Singapore Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I met during my time in Singapore Airlines will probably be the ones I will keep close to my heart for a long time. Not only did they help nurture me professionally, they were friends to me on many levels.

Cons

As a large and traditional organisation, a lot of decisions were made from top management, allowing little room for personal development for employees.

Advice to Management

More empowerment to the younger generation employees to keep them engage in their work and in the business.