Singapore Press

Reporter's Experience

Current Employee - Reporter
Current Employee - Reporter

I have been working at Singapore Press

Pros

The colleagues keep me sane. Without them I'd have left much earlier. The company has pretty good dental, medical benefits and annual leave. The office is well-maintained, and has everything you need within the building, including its own canteen and clinic. Nightly transport in vans to send employees who work past 11pm home to their door steps runs until 4am. Parking is free due to huge compound and having more lots than cars. Most staff (who are concentrated in the bottom of the pyramid) are paid too poorly to own a car. The ones who drive to work tend to be more senior, or are married to spouses who are not journalists providing them with a life that is atypical of a journalist's. Overall, it feels a lot like working in an army camp.

Cons

The mid-level management is the worst. It's probably where most of the rot is concentrated. Some of them are extremely poor leaders, who do not have the respect of the staff under them. They also do not assess or treat the staff properly with respect.

NIL.

47 Other Employee Reviews for Singapore Press (View Most Recent)

Good people, gloomy atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Singapore Press

Pros

Great colleagues, pressurising environment which meant that one learnt very quickly, interns were given a high level of responsibility

Cons

General pessimistic outlook among the colleagues towards career prospects, insufficient time given to journalists to pursue on stories

NIL

Traditional media company seeks new approaches

Former Employee - Web Designer / Journalist in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Web Designer / Journalist in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Singapore Press

Pros

The pay at Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) is competitive. There's training and the new building has pretty good facilities - if you have the time to use them! Despite the launch of rival MediaCorp's free newspaper, Today, SPH's Straits Times has retained its reputation as a quality broadsheet. It still remains the biggest player in the print newspaper business in Singapore. Within a year of joining, my career plan was laid out to me, and pay reviews were regular and positive. If the newspaper I was working for hadn't closed down, I might still have been working at SPH today.

Cons

Feedback from those still in SPH is that it is run like a Government agency in some ways. SPH scholars are said to move faster up the ranks, though to be fair the scholars I worked with were of high calibre. When I was working there, our pay was determined by the type of degree we had and how good our grade was.

Also, SPH has tended to view online media as secondary and competing with print media, which has brought in much more advertising dollars and is tried and tested. Some SPH columnists have cautious views on blogging, seeing it also as competing with journalism, which to them is of higher quality.

SPH has tried to monetize their online efforts with limited success so far. For instance, online readers of SPH's main English daily, the Straits Times, must pay to read some articles, and even then, only up to the last 7 days. Rival newspaper TodayOnline is said to have many more times the readership because it is free. If even Rupert Murdoch is contemplating making the Wall Street Journal free and moving to an ad-based model, surely it is something SPH should consider as well.

After a slow start, SPH has recently started to embrace social media, with efforts like Stomp.com.sg for user-generated news and rednano.sg which is touted to be the search engine for local (Singaporean) content. These are still in their early days; it is relatively easy to market new products when you're a media giant with a huge advertising budget and a large workforce of content producers. The true test is whether these products will still be popular with readers in the years to come.

Having worked for an SPH newspaper which was closed down, I'd have appreciated earlier and clearer management communication instead of hearing about it from a rival TV news station first. Think about the effect on the staff who lost their jobs, even if they performed well, as opposed to senior management who came up with the business plan to sell a highbrow newspaper for PMEBs at a high price while putting all the content online for free (which PMEB-types would prefer to access instead of paying for it).

As a shareholder, I'd like to see more growth and steady dividends. As the Singapore market is small and already saturated, SPH may need to look to the Asia Pacific region and even China, where many citizens read SPH's Chinese-language newspapers online.

As a former employee, apart from the feedback given above, I'd say SPH faces the same challenges as any other large organisations. For instance, colleagues from different newspapers may seldom interact with each other.

Overall, SPH is a reputable employer and should keep going strong in the years to come. They just need to adapt to readers' changing preferences, such as the growth of online/social media. They should also focus on regaining the interest lost by young Singaporeans who are said to be less interested in reading newspapers, because these will be the customers of the future.

There are newer employer reviews for Singapore Press