New Product...Archaic Culture

Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at SiriusXM

Pros

1 free radio while you are an employee.
Good base pay
Free parking on site
On site gym
On site cafeteria

Cons

You would think with such a hip and new product as satellite radio the company would also be equally new age, not the case. Its hard to believe that a company that is so new already used the "thats the way it is" mentality. They made the grave error of believeing that just because someone knows the product that entitles them to a position of management. From what I saw front line managers are more concerned with dollars and cents than the rapport with its staff and buidling a team environment. Training doesn't exist so be ready to be thrown to the wolves and hope you get it. Walking through the buidling is like walking through a company that has gone/going through layoffs. With the exception of the DJ's no one really talk to one another and just sit at their desk waiting completing their duties and waiting for the day to end.

I read these reviews before I took the job so I was warned, but I did not think it would be as bad as it was...not a healthy place to work. The salary is great...but thats how the hook you. However every day is a worry of saving every little penny. Don't get fooled like me, because there is nowhere to go once you get in.

I would take less money elsewhere than to return to return to work there.

Advice to Management

Make an efffort to onboard your staff instead of just telling them what they have to do. Help build a envirorment of rapport and of team instead of everyone for themself. Avoid the us and them, even after the merger two very distinct products (XM and Sirius) exist and doesn't make one believe that a merger even occured.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. great place to work but no room for growth

I worked at SiriusXM

Pros

Professional place to work
    Not gopher work

Cons

even if you work hard as an intern and they like you, there is no guarantee they will hire you..prob won't and you will have to wait forever even if you do

Advice to Management

get your hr department to be more responsive

My internship experience was exceptional because of the time that my mentors and co-workers invested in my development.

I worked at SiriusXM

Pros

Received great advice and exposure in studio and newsroom. Got the chance to meet several great people who had a willingness to help and use the interns as part of the functioning staff. I and many of the other interns at my station, were relied to perform like regular staff members.

Cons

Management doesn't acknowledge time put in by interns when it comes to applying for full-time position. Upper management is very reluctant to offer references when leaving internship program.

Advice to Management

---