There are newer employer reviews for Skechers U.S.A.

It was fun, yet management was underwhelming.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hialeah, FL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hialeah, FL

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people. Always nice to help customers.

Cons

Management is always not happy.

Advice to Management

Be happy.

reviews filtered by

To Cut Costs= 20 years back in technology

Current Employee - First Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - First Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy responsibility, you're selling shoes. Thats it!

Cons

Corporate structure is less concerned with local store issues only with bottom line numbers. It is extremely autocratic in the fact that store managers and at times even the district managers have very little say in what actually go on within their respective stores.

Advice to Management

Join the 21st century. Be more proactive about updating training manuals, contact information, operating procedures and streamline your intranet to a point it makes since and you don't have to have a background in computer science to find a simple form to print off. And why the heck are you still using fax machines? Better inventory controls, allow more labor hours to provide better coverage and to ensure all little tasks are completed.

Great as an associate, extremely difficult as a manager

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As an associate:

-Easy to understand standards, as most of your direction will come from your Assistant/Store Manager, who you will work closely with
    -VERY friendly work place
    -Great start as a first job, or as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. If you prove you're a hardworking employee, promotion is a very real possibility.

As an Assistant Manager:

-Great stepping stone to bigger and better things.
    -A lot of time is spent in the store without your boss around, so as long as you can plan and execute well without falling behind, it's fairly stress free
    -Employee discount is OK, not terrible, but not amazing either. No other benefits.

Cons

As an associate:

-Very physically demanding. Shipment once a week and on a busy day, you will be running around more often than not.
    -You'll probably be working harder than your pay will show
    -Bosses will either be your best friend, or your worst enemy. As a manager, I personally am out there working harder than anybody, setting the standard. Other managers have no problem sitting behind the register all day dictating work for you to execute.
    -Hours can at times, be very inconsistent.

As an Assistant Manager:

-VERY unclear standards. It feels like standards go through the game 'telephone' where you will never get a consistent answer when asking around to different stores/districts/DMs. Example: Display standards are "constantly changing," and by constantly changing I mean change depending on who visits your store last and wants you to change it.
    -Expectations set by DM are often way off the mark. It feels like the DMs don't really understand what it's like to work the sales floor, and as a result set either unrealistically high, or severely low expectations.
    -Failure is a direct reflection of you. You missed sales for the day? Well that sucks, because they don't care that there was 2 feet of snow on the ground. I'm being a bit dramatic, but missing sales goals is viewed as a direct reflection of management.
    -Not sure if it's just my store, but don't plan on having a full staff. In the last 1.5 years, we've never had a full management team.
    -The pay.....
    -The company as a whole seems to be both stuck in the stone age (WAY outdated Point of Sale system) and unorganized. Putting three different window updates in one day is a good way to annoy employees. Setting deadlines for when tasks should be completed without giving us the tools to complete the task until AFTER the deadline means you need to be flexible to each store making decisions that may not be exactly what you want. And the marketing is really off point, adult men don't want to buy a shoe because Joe Montana can catch a burglar with a football....

Advice to Management

Store Managers: Spend some time working as hard as us associates do. Just because you're payed more doesn't mean you're above cleaning up the mess of a family of foreigners.

District Managers: Be a little more flexible and willing to listen. If I ask you a question, respond to what I said, don't just give me the same cookie cutter answer you do every time. And realize we are not stupid, this company is wildly out of date and unorganized, the issue needs to be addressed, not swept under the rug.

There are newer employer reviews for Skechers U.S.A.