Decent company

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Mission, KS
Current Employee - National Account Manager in Mission, KS

I have been working at SkillPath Corporate Strategies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of things to sell, creative solutions, can be good pay. Great people to work with (co-workers), 403b Match

Cons

Management has lots of issues. It all keeps turning over and over and the executives don't care. Even with key players quitting due to the head of the department.

Advice to Management

Get a new VP of Sales.

Other Employee Reviews for SkillPath Corporate Strategies

Obviously they are aware of their poor reviews

Former Employee - Account Manager in Mission, KS
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Mission, KS

Pros

Casual work environment. The supervisors provide great feedback when they aren't overwhelmed with the new hires constantly being brought on. The benefits are great as well as the time off. The work can be interesting if you make it. The flexibility of the work schedule is good with time-off, an hour lunch etc. it is good selling a product that makes a difference and really is the best option for most. However, getting competitive pricing to really earn business can be hard but the compensation is good.

Cons

The review below appears to be written by someone "inside" the company. It doesn't address anything on a "con" side. I loved my work at SkillPath however, the management of the on-site department feels that the account managers are tossable. In 3 months, they hired about 25 people and just under 7 remain. The staff recognizes the "burn and turn" mentality. If you don't make your sales numbers, you're out. There are no exceptions for previous good work etc. There are some politics and your "protected" terriotory may not actually be protected. If you make a big account or someone from the other groups sees inactivity, they can come in and take it. This could be a great company with a lot of experience. However, the uppermanagment should recognize that they are losing ground by constantly hiring new account managers who demand time (understandably) from the mid-managment which takes away from more tentured staff being able to make sales. Plus, you can't sell something you don't understand! It is just frustrating to see a place that could be good to work for struggle and lose those who are dedicated and have what it takes. I wish I had really read the reviews before starting here. The only growth there is is by selling more. Even if you are a "high" producer it is hard to make over 45,000 a year and with that comes a lot of frustration, stress and pressure. A lot of the real producers don't have the support they need to work the sales they have, which can be bad down the road when you haven't worked to secure future business. Better and more support staff is desperately needed.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the 6 month turn around for most of your sales staff. Your "ramp" up period really isn't there. You'd attract better, more qualified talent if you had a year process and evaluation. Consider a 6 month "eval" period and if there is just no hope then cut them. But your new hires should reasonably expect to take a year to learn the gist of your sales process. Take a look at your competition and how their sales staff is handled. They are stealing your sales constantly, a lot more than you realize for the size they are. Try keeping some of the sales people you have for longer than 6 months so those who have more experience can sell and get the input they need. The constant turn over is frustrating and the amount of time invested in new hires and tape reviews just to have the majority leave could be better spent helping sales to be made.

2. A Great Sales Opportunity for the Right Person

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Mission, KS
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Mission, KS

Pros

As a Regional Account Manager at SkillPath, I get a great deal of job satisfaction in what I do and how I contribute to both the company and my earning potential. First of all, this sales position is an inside sales position that is phone based B2B selling of somewhat complex training solutions. A lot of people think that selling over the phone is telemarketing but this is anything but. There is no script and so many opportunities to sell...if you have a good work ethic and want it bad enough! The training I received prepared me for what to expect and there are many tenured Account Managers and Supervisors that do everything possible to help you as you are learning. The people are great and a lot of them have been here in the sales department for many years, some as long as 15 years! There is a respectable base salary but where you will really make money is in the commission structure, which is uncapped. The benefits are excellent as well and certainly are a big appeal to many of the employees. Overall, you need to have the right selling mind-set to be successful in this position. This is not a position that you are going to take just to sit in a cube and make a few phone calls to collect a base salary. Typically, you only read negatives from people who didn't make it in a sales position but I think it is important to point out that there are many people who have made this a selling career and are very proud of their job and the company they are working for, myself included.

Cons

The biggest challenge of this position is the in the first couple of months when you are in training and developing your territory. The "ramp-up" is a critical part of the process and there is a lot of focus on call stats and pipeline development. Coming from a sales background, I understand that this is the case in any sales position. Everyone at SkillPath was very honest about what to expect coming into this position and it made me want to work harder.

Advice to Management

Sales departments experience extreme highs and lows all the time as this is the nature of sales. The management works very hard to get everyone on their teams performing. Understandably, they cannot be available to everyone at all times and they tend to get pulled in a lot of different directions.