SkyWest

Don't do it!

Former Employee - Cross Utilized Agent
Former Employee - Cross Utilized Agent

I worked at SkyWest

Pros

I know how to dump a lav. Useful life skill.

Cons

I was sold a bill of goods about how great it would be to work here and you could fly for free.

Pay a decent wage.

115 Other Employee Reviews for SkyWest (View Most Recent)

Not the worst regional to work for.

I worked at SkyWest

Pros

Not too bad travel benefits. Pay was competitive and was adjusted appropriately for the cost of living in a city. Fair polices on safety. Good dental, health, and 401k plans. Fun atmosphere when not overly bogged down with work, co workers really made it a worthwhile experience.

Cons

Although safety was drilled to us at training, it seemed to sometimes be compromised at times due to the general rush of things. Communication from manager (whom I never did figure out who it was) was sketch sometimes, the "manager" was often confused for a fellow employee with experience. Understaffed at times, especially during the peak times. Safety a priority but not enforced if it meant something got done faster.

The day you decide to cut corners and try the entire "lowest bidder" stuff is the day SkyWest will start to loose it's position as the pretty good and large regional it is today. Keep an eye on quality which is, as you know, kept by keeping ALL the employees happy.

SkyWest is place where employees can be close to the action.

I have been working at SkyWest

Pros

If you like to fly, then this is a great place to work. As a SkyWest employee you get travel benefits on a space available basis on a variety of partner airlines. I have been to several places on weekend trips that I never would have gone to otherwise. Also, if you like feeling like you are close to the "big hitters" of the company, the overhead and management teams are small compared to the size of the company, so you get to interact with upper management pretty regularly. They have a decent benefits package and the travel industry is always changing somehow. Makes for some interesting work days.

Cons

Because the management team is pretty small, promotions and advancement is irregular at best. There isn't really a career path or standard progression like you would see at bigger companies. It usually takes someone else leaving or being promoted to open up oppoutunites for advancement, and the upper managment team has been in place for quite a while, some people as much as 10 years in the same position. Also, because our industry is so visible to the public, everyone you meet has an opinion on why Airlines are aweful, but the flip side is you have a connection to almost everyone you meet.

As the industry around us is changing, we need to lead and embrace changes internally/

There are newer employer reviews for SkyWest