There are newer employer reviews for Skype

Has potential, but lacks polish and respect for workers

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Skype

Pros

Skype has a nice, new office that is a very comfortable place to work. Snacks and drinks are provided twice a week and have now generally reached the point where they will last through the week. There are recreational activities, such as pool, ping pong, foosball, and basketball. Management attempts to be transparent about the direction of the company.

Cons

Skype has an ingrained culture of distrust between teams and the lack of desire to share knowledge. Projects tend to get over-engineered; that is, they become more complicated than they need to be. It also has the culture of a work-first environment, so if you're looking for a good work-life balance, this is not the place for you. The transparency management shares doesn't seem to line up with what the feeling and rumors are saying.

Many of the bonuses and gifts are based on a work-to-be-served basis, rather than a work-served basis. Give employees the credit that they deserve when they have worked their tails off to take the company to the next level. Transparency is good, but be honest. Most employees are uncertain about the merger and how it will benefit them. While you reassure us that it will be good, tell us what we get in return. Otherwise, we all think that it's all about Management getting rich.

51 Other Employee Reviews for Skype (View Most Recent)

Great company to work for, lot's of bureaucracy

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Tallinn (Estonia)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Tallinn (Estonia)

I have been working at Skype full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have a chance to work with smart people on a cool product. Cool brand name. Great benefits and really good work-life balance. Pay is good as well.

Cons

Career opportunities in the Estonian office are limited. MS has introduced several layers or bureaucracy since it acquired Skype a few years ago. The base of innovation has slowed down.

Get rid of some of the middle-managers who don't seem to be doing much

data analyst

Current Employee - Data Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Skype full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

reliable, but could be quite involve lots of burocracy

Cons

low paid, could be quite boring with all the msft standards

There are newer employer reviews for Skype