There are newer employer reviews for Slalom Consulting

Enabling People to Utilize Their Full Potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

I spent a long time with Accenture before joining Slalom Consulting. Coming from a Big 4 firm, I wanted to get away from the things that had begun to wear on me over time: overwhelming bureaucracy and controls, little to no input on my own staffing, political maneuvering, and increasingly less interesting work. I was looking for a place where I could move at my own pace, have the opportunity to do the kind of work I wanted to do (as opposed to what the firm wanted me to do), return to a more merit-based rewards system, have more of a say in my client engagements, have the ability to impact part of the business, and be able to work in a truly consultative model.

Slalom Consulting has provided all of this and more. Leadership encourages people to find their strengths, take risks and go after opportunities that you would not be able to pursue in larger, more controlled firms. I think that Slalom Consulting is a best-fit for consulting professionals who have figured out what they really want out of a job AND what they want out of a personal life. I have found that it is possible to enjoy both in equal measures.

Summary Pros:
 - Flexible Career Model
 - Great Social Events
 - Ability to Work with Clients in Your Local Community
 - No Forced Alignment to Industry Verticals

Cons

Internally, I think that Slalom Consulting could do a better job at communicating with its employees; maybe celebrating successes more. Additionally, PTO could be stronger; I lost some time coming from Accenture. I understand that the model is different and I no longer get on a plane every week, but still a bit more PTO would go a long way.

Summary Cons:
 - PTO is Average
 - 401k Match is Average
 - Training Budgets are Average

I think that leadership should consider the following - there aren't that many complaints, but fixing these would go a long way:
 - Add a week of PTO to compensate for sick days / be more competititve in the market
 - Eliminate the complexity around the current training model; just pay for time and/or increase training budget
 - Maybe boost benefits a tiny bit

300 Other Employee Reviews for Slalom Consulting (View Most Recent)

A growing company with great potential

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

- Fantastic, experienced, smart people to work with (no junior consultants!)
    - Lots of opportunities to help grow the business - both internally and externally (sales)
    - Super friendly culture with lots of social events
    - Low key, laid-back attitude balanced with high standards of delivery
    - Great facilities for such a small company
    - Highly flexible work environment - you can really live the consulting lifestyle here!
    - No travel unless you want to
    - Great salary and vacation
    - Very hands-off management, because they only hire senior consultants they trust you to do your job, manage your client, and work with your team

Cons

- Small market limits type of work and clients, which means sometimes you just have to do what you have to do!
    - No junior consultants means you have to do all the dirty work too :)
    - Benefits package is mediocre at best, I'm paying a lot more out of pocket
    - Flexibility comes with risk - if you're on the bench you only get paid 50% of your salary
    - Because it is a growing, small company - bad infrastructure (slow network, no knowledge management, very little process in place)
    - Just starting to define career paths - very little career management in place so you really have to find your own way

- A more robust process around the biz dev pipeline that leverages people who want to help could result in a more stable pipeline and improved account management
    - Need some more focus on building expert communities and intellectual capital that can be shared across the nation

Bait & Switch Model - Read "Staff Aug Firm, Recruiting as Consulting/Advisory"

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Most people are nice, and there's a general feeling of camaraderie. Company's big into social gatherings and celebrating. Known for its Technology arm and if you are in to then you may be able to work on some pretty slick work i.e. mobile & portals/collaboration.

Cons

Incumbents be aware! The awards are all manipulated and do not reflect reality. The interview process is just for the sake of building a resource pipeline. They will not hire ahead of revenues, so you'll be kept in a perpetual holding pattern until something strikes unless there's a big need and almost anyone can get hired, which is why the culture is eroding and morale issues are cropping up all over. These past 2-3 mos have seen a high amount of attrition as smart people have caught the scent of deceit.

The comp model is very convoluted and sub par in comparison to other professional services firms as are the benefits. PTO is unbelievably absurd and no sick days. General benefits are sub par and 401K is only applicable after 6 mos of service. Performance incentives, recruiting/business developement bonuses are all subjective with no real meaningful measures.

The recruiters will sell the so-called "no travel policy" until you are sick in the head, but conveniently forgets to mention that you'll be commuting all over metro ATL, averaging 40+ miles one way. Staff aug is the flavor of the season; no matter how hard leadership tries to sell "consulting" work, clients don't look at Slalom as an advisor, just simply as a staff shop. You'll be PM'ing until you are blue in the face, working 50 hours a week. Your Big 4/large consultancy skill set will rust as you'll never get to use it.

Please stop the subjective based, frat-boy mentality management styles! Put some structure in place, carve-out an operating direction i.e. augmentation vs consulting and stick to it. Be open from the beginning, none of this bait & switch tactics. People are leaving after being hired <6 mos into the jobs as a result of this deceitful practice. Fuel your anticipated growth areas within your service offerings. Local P&L reporting vs. national delivery is a self inflicting wound as nothing gets accomplished.

There are newer employer reviews for Slalom Consulting

Worked for Slalom Consulting? Contribute to the Community!