Enabling People to Utilize Their Full Potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

I spent a long time with Accenture before joining Slalom Consulting. Coming from a Big 4 firm, I wanted to get away from the things that had begun to wear on me over time: overwhelming bureaucracy and controls, little to no input on my own staffing, political maneuvering, and increasingly less interesting work. I was looking for a place where I could move at my own pace, have the opportunity to do the kind of work I wanted to do (as opposed to what the firm wanted me to do), return to a more merit-based rewards system, have more of a say in my client engagements, have the ability to impact part of the business, and be able to work in a truly consultative model.

Slalom Consulting has provided all of this and more. Leadership encourages people to find their strengths, take risks and go after opportunities that you would not be able to pursue in larger, more controlled firms. I think that Slalom Consulting is a best-fit for consulting professionals who have figured out what they really want out of a job AND what they want out of a personal life. I have found that it is possible to enjoy both in equal measures.

Summary Pros:
 - Flexible Career Model
 - Great Social Events
 - Ability to Work with Clients in Your Local Community
 - No Forced Alignment to Industry Verticals

Cons

Internally, I think that Slalom Consulting could do a better job at communicating with its employees; maybe celebrating successes more. Additionally, PTO could be stronger; I lost some time coming from Accenture. I understand that the model is different and I no longer get on a plane every week, but still a bit more PTO would go a long way.

Summary Cons:
 - PTO is Average
 - 401k Match is Average
 - Training Budgets are Average

Advice to Management

I think that leadership should consider the following - there aren't that many complaints, but fixing these would go a long way:
 - Add a week of PTO to compensate for sick days / be more competititve in the market
 - Eliminate the complexity around the current training model; just pay for time and/or increase training budget
 - Maybe boost benefits a tiny bit

reviews filtered by

Bait & Switch Model - Read "Staff Aug Firm, Recruiting as Consulting/Advisory"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Most people are nice, and there's a general feeling of camaraderie. Company's big into social gatherings and celebrating. Known for its Technology arm and if you are in to then you may be able to work on some pretty slick work i.e. mobile & portals/collaboration.

Cons

Incumbents be aware! The awards are all manipulated and do not reflect reality. The interview process is just for the sake of building a resource pipeline. They will not hire ahead of revenues, so you'll be kept in a perpetual holding pattern until something strikes unless there's a big need and almost anyone can get hired, which is why the culture is eroding and morale issues are cropping up all over. These past 2-3 mos have seen a high amount of attrition as smart people have caught the scent of deceit.

The comp model is very convoluted and sub par in comparison to other professional services firms as are the benefits. PTO is unbelievably absurd and no sick days. General benefits are sub par and 401K is only applicable after 6 mos of service. Performance incentives, recruiting/business developement bonuses are all subjective with no real meaningful measures.

The recruiters will sell the so-called "no travel policy" until you are sick in the head, but conveniently forgets to mention that you'll be commuting all over metro ATL, averaging 40+ miles one way. Staff aug is the flavor of the season; no matter how hard leadership tries to sell "consulting" work, clients don't look at Slalom as an advisor, just simply as a staff shop. You'll be PM'ing until you are blue in the face, working 50 hours a week. Your Big 4/large consultancy skill set will rust as you'll never get to use it.

Advice to Management

Please stop the subjective based, frat-boy mentality management styles! Put some structure in place, carve-out an operating direction i.e. augmentation vs consulting and stick to it. Be open from the beginning, none of this bait & switch tactics. People are leaving after being hired <6 mos into the jobs as a result of this deceitful practice. Fuel your anticipated growth areas within your service offerings. Local P&L reporting vs. national delivery is a self inflicting wound as nothing gets accomplished.

Body shop with little concern for quality overly focused on staffing any role with no internal career path

Former Employee - Consultant Lacky in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Consultant Lacky in Seattle, WA

I worked at Slalom Consulting

Pros

- Flexibility
    - Some variety in the work
    - Network development

Cons

- Lack of substance on being "consultant focused"
    - Managers are time approvers and focused on filling staffing opps, little more
    - Poor career path or advancement opportunities. The overly hyped "Career Development Framework" is poorly supported and barely used
    - Installed base of leadership are a clique
    - Work/life balance is a joke
    - Totally reliant on a small group of big clients - be prepared for "wash, rinse, repeat" from engagement to engagement
    - PTO is poor - leaders are always "looking at it" and never doing anything about it
    - No tolerance for differing points of view or those who don't drink the leadership kool aid - assimilate or leave
    - Shark tank attitude between incompetent sales team and customer account mgrs to land any role and get a warm body on it
    - They market the life out of the "best place to work" surveys that aren't really credible
    - Absence of "straight talk" internally, typical Seattle "fake nice"
    - Obsession with national growth and driving revenue for the owner with little opportunity for others to share in the success or maturing Slalom's practices
    - Slalom's spin on non-profit "contributions" are limited to employees doing things on their own time with no real investment from Slalom

Advice to Management

Slalom needs to stop pretending it's something that it's not. Management needs to back-up their words with tangible actions.