Slalom Consulting
www.slalom.com Seattle, WA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Staff aug firm more focused on marketing themselves than empowering/looking out for consultants

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Slalom Consulting

Pros•Strong financial records and growth in 2010

•They throw a big quarterly party. You get get some shrimp. Quite exciting.

Cons• Largely your satisfaction will be decided by where you spend most your time, which is probably on the client's site. Slalom is all about selling selling selling. They have some good and some very poor clients. I did not see them end relationships with poor clients, merely cycle in new consultants at the time of renewal, despite knowing the were not healthy clientele.

• The leadership shares in the profits and has been there quite a while. Good luck making it into that echelon. Would take you 3 years to join in the profit sharing. Very cliquish and not open to discussing industry best practices and other forward thinking initiatives unless they originated the discussions. Some territorial and poor performers who should be cleaned out but never will because they bought into the company. Relatively frat house and male dominated in this way.

• Few high ranking women in positions other than sales and HR.

• Behind creative solutions offered by more robust consultancies.

• People leading teams who have never worked on the ground in the fields they manage over. This leads them to selling things they didn't understand and making promises they can't support.

• Benefits are truly mediocre at best. Vacation is less than competitors and people have left for this reason alone when they have families.

• 2011 has seen a lot of attrition as many of us left for better pay, companies where our voices would be heard, or places where managers functioned as more than just sales people and staffers.

• Company divisions are very territorial and none of the leaders to my knowledge are interested in taking on cross departmental initiatives.

• There was really no sense of team in our department. Everyone was out for themselves, and that tone comes from higher up.

• Their exit interviews are really engineered so they don't have to hear any constructive criticism. Was pretty funny.

Advice to Senior Management• Think about the company as a whole not just the silo that reports to you and your bonus off direct reports.

• Understand what you are selling and when you don't, learn it or ask for help in creating your bids.

• Focus on other sources of revenue besides your top 5.

• When you give awards at the quarterly, attach some money or prizes to it. Not just a certificate. The company makes enough money to do so, and it seems odd not to do so.

• Offer better support to people who are staffed at very difficult clients.

• Create a system where bright new people can advance beyond mediocre people with tenure. Figure it out, or we leave to go work for place that offer us opportunities! And that is how your company loses market share and reputation, Slalom.

Enabling People to Utilize Their Full Potential

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros: I spent a long time with Accenture before joining Slalom Consulting. Coming from a Big 4 firm, I wanted to get away from the things… Cons: Internally, I think that Slalom Consulting could do a better job at communicating with its employees; maybe celebrating successes more. Additionally, PTO could be stronger;… Advice to Senior Management: I think that leadership should consider the following - there aren't that many complaints, but fixing these would go a long way: - Add a… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

A growing company with great potential

Consultant (Current Employee)
Portland, OR

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros: - Fantastic, experienced, smart people to work with (no junior consultants!) - Lots of opportunities to help grow the business - both internally and externally (sales) -… Cons: - Small market limits type of work and clients, which means sometimes you just have to do what you have to do! - No junior… Advice to Senior Management: - A more robust process around the biz dev pipeline that leverages people who want to help could result in a more stable… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Slalom Consulting.

Worked for Slalom Consulting? Contribute to the Community!

Slalom Consulting – Why Work for Us?

What makes us unique? Slalom Consulting brings business and technology expertise together to help companies drive enterprise performance, accelerate innovation, enhance the customer experience, and increase employee… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Slalom Consulting reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson. All reviews posted anonymously by Slalom Consulting employees.