Slalom Consulting

Good, Flexible, Friendly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

flexibility
variety of assignments
friendly peers and management

Cons

lack of clarity of processes for staffing, promotions
requires a lot of networking, but not unusual

403 Other Employee Reviews for Slalom Consulting (View Most Recent)

Great People, Providing Real Value in a local market!

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Although I have only been at Slalom a short time, I have found the strongest pros for working there to be the following:
    1. THE PEOPLE - Our culture is unlike any other consulting firm. Though most individuals come from other consulting firms, we are the best of the best and our personalities and culture are defined by this! We strive to constantly improve ourselves and our firm.
    2. LOCAL MARKET - Our ability to provide value locally is key, especially for individuals who like a balanced life and want to still continue to do great work!
    3. FLAT ORG STRUCTURE - Our organization structure is fairly flat so ability to have an impact internally is easily accessible.
    4. GREAT PAY! - always a bonus to be rewarded for great work!

Cons

As it is still a growing organization, more framework around career development is currently in progress to help consultants have a model for career development. This is one area which Slalom currently is struggling with - as many organizations have more framework developed, I can see Slalom getting there in the near term.

The benefits could also be a bit better.

Redefine our career development framework to be more structured and review our benefits. Though are pay is great, the 401k matching and medical plans can be better.

Staff aug firm more focused on marketing themselves than empowering/looking out for consultants

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Slalom Consulting

Pros

•Strong financial records and growth in 2010

•They throw a big quarterly party. You get get some shrimp. Quite exciting.

Cons

• Largely your satisfaction will be decided by where you spend most your time, which is probably on the client's site. Slalom is all about selling selling selling. They have some good and some very poor clients. I did not see them end relationships with poor clients, merely cycle in new consultants at the time of renewal, despite knowing the were not healthy clientele.

• The leadership shares in the profits and has been there quite a while. Good luck making it into that echelon. Would take you 3 years to join in the profit sharing. Very cliquish and not open to discussing industry best practices and other forward thinking initiatives unless they originated the discussions. Some territorial and poor performers who should be cleaned out but never will because they bought into the company. Relatively frat house and male dominated in this way.

• Few high ranking women in positions other than sales and HR.

• Behind creative solutions offered by more robust consultancies.

• People leading teams who have never worked on the ground in the fields they manage over. This leads them to selling things they didn't understand and making promises they can't support.

• Benefits are truly mediocre at best. Vacation is less than competitors and people have left for this reason alone when they have families.

• 2011 has seen a lot of attrition as many of us left for better pay, companies where our voices would be heard, or places where managers functioned as more than just sales people and staffers.

• Company divisions are very territorial and none of the leaders to my knowledge are interested in taking on cross departmental initiatives.

• There was really no sense of team in our department. Everyone was out for themselves, and that tone comes from higher up.

• Their exit interviews are really engineered so they don't have to hear any constructive criticism. Was pretty funny.

• Think about the company as a whole not just the silo that reports to you and your bonus off direct reports.

• Understand what you are selling and when you don't, learn it or ask for help in creating your bids.

• Focus on other sources of revenue besides your top 5.

• When you give awards at the quarterly, attach some money or prizes to it. Not just a certificate. The company makes enough money to do so, and it seems odd not to do so.

• Offer better support to people who are staffed at very difficult clients.

• Create a system where bright new people can advance beyond mediocre people with tenure. Figure it out, or we leave to go work for place that offer us opportunities! And that is how your company loses market share and reputation, Slalom.

There are newer employer reviews for Slalom Consulting