Sleep Country USA

www.sleepcountry.com
  www.sleepcountry.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sleep Country USA

It's like a west coast Yard Sale!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Leader in Kent, WA
Former Employee - Assistant Store Leader in Kent, WA

I worked at Sleep Country USA

Pros

The best reason to work here is the sales staff. I can honestly say that I met some Great people. I will keep in touch with them as I move on. As for the Mangement, well some were great but as soon as they were promoted, they were fired for no apparant reason. The benifets are incredible if you are willing to pay for them. If you are wanting to pad a resume and go through the extensive training, then I say put up with the micro-managing. Training pay is one of the best out there paying 1.5 times minimum wage.

Cons

The micro-managing. I have a hard time working to my full potential knowing that I will miss 1 tiny step and be yelled at. The policys change on an hourly basis with out notice and then you will be resposible for knowing. But you never know. At the end of every corp. e-mail there is a reminder that "this company is an at will company" Talk about fear based!

I would ask them to have comunication between management and sales staff, have more trust with your sales staff. We know that if we dont make money, you don't make money. We are not monkeys. We get it

31 Other Employee Reviews for Sleep Country USA (View Most Recent)

They talk about integrity, but in practice, they are sometimes shady. Too much "I'm always right" attitude/micro-managed

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Store Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Country USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee owned, partly. Pay is okay, but has been cut in recent years to support questionable decisions. They have created a safe, mostly comfortable work environment.

Cons

There is an upper management person who believes he is never wrong. Even when provided with statistical evidence, he is still never wrong. He will listen for any word or phrase that suits his preconceived ideas, and that becomes YOUR only "true" focus. If you truly want to do the best for the company, this person may stand in your way.

Also, they talk a lot about integrity, but their selling methods regularly refute this. For example, prices are negotiable, but to give a "discount," there needs to be a reason for the discount. So, any reason you can give the customer that they will accept...is perfectly okay. (They teach this in their training.) "Do you give a discount to military personnel?" There is no POLICY to give a military discount, but you can say "yes," if that's what it takes to make the sale. Senior Discount? Overstock discount? Sunny Monday Discount? Sure -- if that what it takes to make the sale.

They also now tend to "underpay" because of the change to "employee ownership." But the "employee ownership" is small enough that the employees "have a say," but don't have any real power. They can always be out-voted by management.

Lastly, they are obsessed with micro-management. They claim to want "independent thinkers," that their future will be secured by "independent thinkers," and then they have created a system of constant, high-pressure oversight that kills--or even punishes--independent thought.

Practice what you preach, as the saying goes, and everything will be all right.

Great Place to Work, great people

Current Employee - Store Leader in Hole in the Wall (South Africa)
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Hole in the Wall (South Africa)

I have been working at Sleep Country USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Move Up Quickly, make your own salary, fun work environment

Cons

Always work weekends, some months are slow

Hard to fire people who deserve it

There are newer employer reviews for Sleep Country USA