Sleep Number by Select Comfort

www.sleepnumber.com
  www.sleepnumber.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Do What I Say, Not what I DO! Very low morale, lack of communication and management skills!

Current Employee - Shipping and Receiving Clerk in Irmo, SC
Current Employee - Shipping and Receiving Clerk in Irmo, SC

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Select Comfort makes a great product, the company continues to make great strides and the benefits are about average.

Cons

I think the number # 1 problem working for Select comfort at the SC plant and as an hourly employee from the production point of view is the level of respect shown by management, and the treatment towards hourly employees. Management has the idea that they can do what ever they want without any repercussions. Management often abuse their time off, leaving the employees and the plant unattended while the production employees are required to work long hrs. and many weekends. Opportunities for career advancements within the company is only seen at the managment levels and on a buddy buddy system.

My advice to Bill McLaughlin is to make some major changes in the management at this plant. We need a leader who requires his managers to really lead and also to hold them accountable for their actions.

173 Other Employee Reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort (View Most Recent)

Select Comfort is the best retail job I have ever had!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Mishawaka, IN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Mishawaka, IN

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Company cares about the people that work there and reward high performance with high pay.

Cons

Retail and weekend/evenings are required monthly and aggressive growth is expected.

Do you have a log for that?

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Easy product to sell. Clean showroom and scripted sales actually works for this product. Accessories are easy to sell.

Cons

I was fed up with everything I had to do and fed up with dealing with management. I have been written up at least once every single week over petty stuff that is all in my opinion part of the learning process but of course it must be documented so that there is a bank created should I need to be terminated for whatever reason.

I made mistakes on sales and as a result lost my commission on them. Where was management to look over sales orders and insure I was doing the right thing? I do not have the support or guidance from management as I worked with customers to insure I was complying with the plethora of company policies and procedures. Of course with a degree in psychology management can state that they were simply enforcing company procedures and I am the bad employee who won't comply. This company is insane with logs for every little thing and its rules surrounding any sales. I am surprised there isn't a log for farting. No real discounts offered to owners who are loyal customers to the SN bed.

I am required to call and harass people to the point of them not wanting to answer their phone and forced to leave a voice message. What does that say when a customer won't answer? They are no longer interested or not ready. How is my calling them every week going to do anything but annoy them. If they had actually been considering buying the bed but sincerely not ready to buy, my calls run the risk of them NOT buying the bed. Since I am new, I don't have 30 people to call every single day. So I must call 1 yr old leads that are more than likely dead leads!?! Crazy! Meanwhile all during that year, the company sends coupons upon coupons out to these leads and if they aren't interested, they aren't interested. how is my calling going to suddenly convince them differently other than bug them to the point where they don't consider buying?!

I thought I could bring something different to select comfort but with a log for everything, there was no way of doing things any differently than the scripted sales corporate expects and demands you follow. If you don't there is proof you didn't. No individuality allowed from your salespeople but become robots repeating rehearsed scripts. There is even a log for that?!I have never in my 20 yrs ever had this level of micro management to deal with. It forces the manager to be a jerk to people and there are numerous complaints on the glassdoor website about working for select comfort.

The income potential is not 50-60k but 30-40k. Any bonus has all these requirements to meet or you don't get it. And BREAD, how is bread let alone 5 lbs of it an incentive plus 14 criteria that must be met or no bread. I felt like doing a Broadway rendition of Oliver food glorious food when that came in. I want more please.

I overheard management speaking to an applicant who had already interviewed with another store manager who didn't want to hire him and the store manager was telling him how he would be a great fit and all, basically lying to this man who may overlook other job offers in his quest for employment. Is this what management did to me, not expecting me to actually make the move but when I did get here, out of some weird sense of obligation since I had traveled cross country hired me anyways.

I don't think management wanted me as an employee and that was made quite clear to me on more than one occasion with comments like "had I known such and such about you, I wouldn't have hired you" and said this in front of another employee.

All in all, I think select comfort offers a great product line and selling the bed is the easy part but all the nit picking paperwork and behind the scenes stuff makes the job miserable.

Take your degree on psychology and turn on yourself! Be honest with employees and treat them with respect and not as a child. I don't feel I was getting the needed information in the format that has been set up by select comfort or it simply wasn't being presented to me in a way so that I could understand it. There has been allot of pressure placed on me by management to just perform when I didn't feel I had all the information to perform with. The only response I get is me being psycho-analyzed and the fact I should be doing this with all my experience. The training process needs to be followed as if I have never sold these beds before without any parts being skipped, even if it is stuff I already know. Every time the same information is given to me, I learn something more from it since it is given in a new format. I need to learn how Select comfort wants me to represent the product line. I hope management will be more patient and make sure people truly understand each step of the process and what is being presented to them. I didn't have this feedback from management and felt so pressured to just perform which built up allot of frustrations because I didn't fully understand what was being expected of me.

There are newer employer reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort