Sleep Number by Select Comfort

www.sleepnumber.com
  www.sleepnumber.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Light hearted need not apply

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Great place to work once you are alone.

Cons

Other employees are out to get you fired or to quit. Management is just a glorified salesperson. The managers nit pick the sweet hours for most sales. The managers get a hefty bonus if the stores goal is met were as the sales people doing the work get spit.... good luck

Stop calling yourselves management. I've been a a anger and I never made my employees do half of the stuff you do. And district manager is an idiot, no past experience in sales makes the dm a great position. NOT. Go get a job as a poop scooper cause your region hates you.

173 Other Employee Reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort (View Most Recent)

Frustration!

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Select Comfort provides a great product that is fairly priced. As an employee you feel great actually helping people.

For the most part its a really slow paced easy going job.

Cons

Let me start off by saying I missed my goal once and have never been written up, so I'm hardly a bad employee.

Pay isn't that great. Top Tier stores pickup the slack for smaller stores and make it very hard to obtain top tier commission. I have sold around $850,000 in 12 months and have made less than $50,000 while people selling less have made more, because its easier to have a huge month with a lower goal.

The company is greedy and just doesn't get it. Less than 25% of Managers and DMs are promoted from within. I was hired as a Manager and had to transfer because of my wife. The store I took over had solid employees with over 3 years experience and were not hired as Manager. Sad.

A lot of Managers are lazy and you end up doing some Manager work like inventory and cycle counts while they sell and have a goal that is half of yours. So if you want to work here be prepared to make people other than yourself a good amount of money.

Beyond that mall hours suck, you kick a lot of teens out in the summer, you do the same stuff over and over again. The biggest reason to work just hard enough so you don't get caught up in the bull of micro management. You can be a superstar one day and pissed on the next, and never question managements decisions even if its in a professional manner, because your instantly black balled.

I doubt they listen especially after the employee survey results they just released, which were pretty negative. Bill is a level headed good guy and Andy is the same. I have had 3 MSL in my time and they know less about the product and policies than a hourly employee. They try to sell when they do their visits and I actually had a customer tell my MSL that they should stick to paperwork, because they couldn't sell a thirsty man a free glass of water. Pretty funny.

If Bill reads this my advice is to promote from within, advertise our product, (no reason Tempurpedic shoud have bigger numbers) and give employees a bigger cut and make the pay scale fair.

A lot of companies care about their employees, trust their employees, and pay their employees a lot better than SC. This job is for beginners in the Sales field, if your here for a career you are an "order taker" look for a challenge and compensation somewhere else.

Okay job...but its a job not a career

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

The product is really a great product to sell. It is nice to be able to help people who are having a difficult time sleeping and hear them after getting a good nights sleep. Everyday I see someone who comes in to tell me how happy they are that they got a Sleep Number bed.

You can make money at times. But not for long periods of time.

Cons

I will try to be brief. I have read the other reviewers and I can hear the frustration in their voices. I completely understand how they feel. Everyone who works here can see the potential this company has. The problem is they don't have the management chops to get it done.

I have experienced most of the things that other reviewers have experienced. I can tell you, that even though the others reviewers are frustrated, the points they are making are all true.

To me the most annoying part is the micro management philosophy the company lives by. They do not trust you to do anything on your own, there is a checklist for everything. I have to check off a box everyday that reminds me to turn the lights on. WOW, it's a good thing for that box or I might walk around in the dark all day! Now, I can understand using checklists for complicated procedures but to turn on the lights! The worst par,t is that my district manager will actually check that list, when he is here, and if the box is not checked he will take off points on our audit. (Or maybe he just checked the wrong box because it's so dark in here.)

I share that example in justification that this company really focuses on everyone covering their own behinds. No one wants to think. No one uses any creativity, because creativity gets you in trouble. The motto here is "do it the way you are told and don't use your own brain." Luckily I have avoided the write ups that I see other managers getting because I play the game. My recommendation is that you do the same.

The worst part is that it is stifling what this company could be doing. Every quarter Tempurpedic, our main competitor, comes out and reports record sales and record profits. While Select comfort reports mediocre to good numbers. The potential here is insane, it should be Select Comfort reporting record profits, but they can't get out of their own way.

It would be easy for me to sit here and blame everyone, but ultimately it comes down to the CEO. He is the one who is hiring the executive team lacking in real experience. He is the one allowing the cronyism to grow within the organization. I really like Bill and think he is a great guy. I have met him several times and he is always thoughtful and a great listener. But, how can he not see what is so obvious to everyone.

My advice Bill, get out into the stores. Talk to your managers and sales pros. Go by yourself without being accompanied by the district or regional manager. They are filtering reality from your view. You need to hear what is going on from the ground up. I promise you will be surprised.

There are newer employer reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort