There are newer employer reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Great company to start your sales career.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Tukwila, WA
Former Employee - Store Manager in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Well over paid for what you do. In all reality, you sit on your butt for a majority of your day, make a few (20 maybe) phone calls and rely mostly on walk in customers. Training is continual and well though out.

Cons

Sr. Management (district manager and above) changes too often. I had, in 4 years, three different Regional Managers, and 5 District Managers. They would rather hire from out side the company for open management positions. To prove my point, I quit in 2008 for a sales managers position at a large national gym. I was hired back to Select Comfort, by the Same regional manager to be a store manager, because "now you have management experience." Unfortunately, the commission structure changed 3 times while I was there, each time they told us it was"the same amount, just different." Not true, each time they made a change I lost on average $10k per year. I made more my 2nd year than I did my final year as a sales rep despite selling more units with a higher price per unit than my 2nd year.

Understand that you can be a sales company and increase sales, or a retail company. Pay your sales people well, and sales will go back up. While your stock has beat its pre recession price, your employees are not making what they did pre recession. I was granted lots of stock at $20 per share, but purchased a large amount at $.25 per share, thank you Mr McLaughlin, but now its time you take care of your employees.

150 Other Employee Reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort (View Most Recent)

Fantastic Products but So-So Management

Former Employee - Sales Professional  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

The products that Select Comfort offers (beds and accessories) are really fantastic and easy to sell, particularly once you own them yourself (the company offers a great employee discount to help you buy a bed and the accessories). The other sales professionals and store managers are generally easy to get along with.

Cons

Like most retail jobs it's easy to burn out on the hours and days off - it's company policy that you aren't supposed to have back-to-back days off (although some store managers will allow their employees to do this) and you will rarely get an entire weekend off. During the "blackout" period over the holidays - mid-November through New Year's - no one can take a weekend off at all.

Keep in mind that is is a commissioned sales job as well. Although you do make an hourly wage, there's no way to survive on that alone, so you have to be aggressive about making your monthly sales goal. If you're new to sales it tends to be a feast or famine situation (great sales one month and bad sales the next), so be prepared.

Corporate management doesn't seem to have a clear idea of how they want to position themselves in the market and seem to be trying every idea in the book, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but does tend to get frustrating for the staff since there are constant policy changes. The local market manager is really ineffective and doesn't know what he's doing. I didn't look to him for help with anything at all.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Easy work, great environment, very relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Holiday hours, a lot of nights

Read emails

There are newer employer reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!