There are newer employer reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Terrible management, does not value people.

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

The company makes a good product that has many benefits for consumers. The hours are flexible and you don't have to take your work home with you very often. There really is a need for this product, which makes selling it fairly gratifying.

Cons

The pay is absolutely terrible, an average manager will make around $30,000 and a great store manager will earn around $50,000. The companies upper management has changed for the worse over the last year or so. In order to be promoted you need to be "in" with the new crowd. With this new management came a new belief that the people don't really matter to the companies success. They truly feel that they have a product that can sell itself and the people are expendable. They have therefore slashed the pay of the store managers, and sales people. This philosophy has gotten them into some pretty terrible times as turnover increases and the quality of the sale force decreases. The upper management is completely over matched, especially at the regional vice president level and above. Of course because of this mismanagement the market manager level is decreasing as is the talent at the store manager level. In other words the company is in a death spiral and imploding onto itself.

Please change the retail VP and the regional VP's who work under her. How long does it take to realize that a hiring mistake was made and needs to be fixed.

Realize that your product is difficult to sell and it requires talented people to sell it. Your philosophy needs to stop being so product focused and become more people focused. For your company to succeed you need great people, the product will fail on its own.

150 Other Employee Reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort (View Most Recent)

A great product and a terrible company

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

The product is amazing, great employee discounts, benefits are average, hours are flexible

Cons

Terrible leadership from CEO down to District Manager level. VP of Retail Sales is not qualified to be in her position and has been a major cause of companies down slide. Only woman, under this current leadership, have any chance of moving up. Leadership is near sighted and throws money at the problems. Focus is on processes, not people. Career path is non-existent, feedback is vacant and performance appraisals are not worth a penny. The only thing that will save this company is an overhaul of leadership from C.E.O down to Regional Managers

Please quit!!

I love working for Sleep Number.

Current Employee - Sleep Professional  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Employee discounts on beds.
    -What you sell actually helps people and improves lives.
    -Ability to make decent money; even great money.
    -Small staff so it becomes like a second family.
    -Little to no stress work environment when compared to other jobs that pay the same, more, or less.
    -No take home work.
    -Easy to read commissions. No surprises on payday.

Cons

-In the past year store hours on Sundays went from 12-6 to 11-7, taking away more time from family/personal time. I'm sure this works in some markets but in the Bible belt we don't see traffic in our stores until after 1pm and it slows down by 5pm.
    -No matter how much paid time off you have earned it feels like a punishment to take more than an extra day or two off a week because of how aggressive the sales goals are.
    -I would like to see the commission structure not be capped at 8% when you reach 140% to your sales goal. I would also like to see it be the highest tier commission on everything you sold and not an average.
    -I would like to see Sleep Expert's be able to be rewarded with a quarterly bonus. Not as high as the Store Managers but at least something.
    -I would like to see them do a little bit better job at planning sign changes so they don't land on Christmas Eve, Halloween, etc. That is our family time and it would be nice to not be stuck at work.
    -I don't like the UP system and the fact that we get secret shops that potentially cause us to lose out on real customers that are buying.

Keep moving us forward and growing.

There are newer employer reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!