Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Average Retail Sales Job

Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

A decent company to work for in terms of benefits and the sales force has a chance to make decent money when located in a higher volume store.

Cons

Uses an exhaustive sales process that over complicates a relatively simple concept with an embarrassing amount of company branded rhetoric. Truly a company with too much top-down management.

Keep it simple stupid. Were selling beds, not anything of real complexity. You're confusing and overwhelming not only your staff but your customer as well.

172 Other Employee Reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort (View Most Recent)

Great company to start your sales career.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Well over paid for what you do. In all reality, you sit on your butt for a majority of your day, make a few (20 maybe) phone calls and rely mostly on walk in customers. Training is continual and well though out.

Cons

Sr. Management (district manager and above) changes too often. I had, in 4 years, three different Regional Managers, and 5 District Managers. They would rather hire from out side the company for open management positions. To prove my point, I quit in 2008 for a sales managers position at a large national gym. I was hired back to Select Comfort, by the Same regional manager to be a store manager, because "now you have management experience." Unfortunately, the commission structure changed 3 times while I was there, each time they told us it was"the same amount, just different." Not true, each time they made a change I lost on average $10k per year. I made more my 2nd year than I did my final year as a sales rep despite selling more units with a higher price per unit than my 2nd year.

Understand that you can be a sales company and increase sales, or a retail company. Pay your sales people well, and sales will go back up. While your stock has beat its pre recession price, your employees are not making what they did pre recession. I was granted lots of stock at $20 per share, but purchased a large amount at $.25 per share, thank you Mr McLaughlin, but now its time you take care of your employees.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Easy work, great environment, very relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Holiday hours, a lot of nights

Read emails