There are newer employer reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Great vision, great people, some growing pains

Current Employee - Marketing
Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent compensation. Work with really smart, kind people. True commitment to caring for the customer. We always strive to put the customer first. Vision-driven culture to improve people's lives: It's not about selling beds-- we help improve lives. Great to work for something bigger than just product. AMAZING product. Love, love, love my Sleep Number bed and bedding products! Top notch and will continue to own and recommend them long after I stop working for Sleep Number. Great job retention here too. Many people have worked here 10+ years.

Cons

Heavy "process" environment. Things don't happen as quickly or as creatively as you hope they would, so it's crucial to be organized, patient and a great project manager. Meeting-heavy corporate environment which is getting better thanks to a new meeting effectiveness rollout that is streamlining some meetings.

Advice to Management

Listen to the voice of Directors and project managers more. Too often we're micromanaged to the point where something goes from great to mediocre.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great product, shifting culture focused on promoting women and 100% managing by spreadsheet.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic pay for retail made over $90,000 in good years 45-50 hours a week. Good product when you work for a good DM, you life work balance is great.

Cons

Constant change, upper management is so out of touch. The expectations are shifting forcing managers to be in store long hours without productive things to do. With the new CEO as of 2012 we have seen a consistent slide in work life balance, sales, and employee incomes. The CEO has not taken any personal responsibility for her actions and has fired multiple people for carrying out her directives and them not working. She let numerous seasoned managers to and replaced each with a female usually under qualified.

Cult like environment, "we don't sell beds we change lives, if people don't get that find people that do."

Advice to Management

Shelly, find the right CEO and step back into a marketing and operations roll before we end up with a single digit stock price. If you make a mistake don't fire people, take responsibility and move on.

Finally, don't be so worried about promoting women, get the right people in the right roles.

Good place to work for many years now not so much at least for Inside phone sales positions

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits ok fellow employees great good working conditions.

Cons

Commission structure in constant flux goals much too high for the call volume. Company not supporting the phone sales people at all the focus is on sending people to the stores or the website only.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees sometimes they do know things that can help you. Surveys have been done several times with similar results each time but little action to correct the problems.