Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Select Comfort

Current Employee - Home Delivery
Current Employee - Home Delivery

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Competitive pay. Good medical benefits package.

Cons

Employees not located in MN office are not included in meetings regarding matters that affect them.
Employees at corporate office receive holiday pay, store and delivery employees do not.
Corporate employees are given opportunities several times each year to purchase merchandise for $20 or less while store and delivery do not.

Remember that without retail and delivery you would be out of business.

173 Other Employee Reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort (View Most Recent)

Terrible Company to work for

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

-It is nice to actually help people to sleep better. The product really works and is fun to sell.

-The job is super easy and you don't have to take your work home with you.

-The schedule is pretty flexible.

The environment with in the stores is very relaxed and customer focused except for the one or two visits a year from management.

Cons

-Was a much better place to work before the Senior VP brought all her friends in to work with her. None of them has a clue as to how to run a retail operation.

-Management has no respect for the employee. I was recently told that I could not sit down while I make the 100 phone calls(no exaggeration) they wanted me to do each day. The DM actually insisted that I stand in front of the computer while making the phone calls for an eight hour shift.

-Store managers are not really store managers. You will have zero say in anything that happens in your store. You are nothing more than a sales person who makes a schedule.

-It's time to make more phone calls. Call someone, anyone. You will be calling people who bought beds from them 5 years ago or more and asking them to buy more beds. You will call these same people every 3 months, and they will tell you that they are not interested every three months.

-They assume that anyone can sell their product if you read from a script. You will be chastised for creativity or originality.

-You have to drink the kool-aid. The company will fire you right away if you do not agree 100% with the district and regional managers. They get very upset with anyone who does not fall in line. If you have an idea it better be one they agree with. There is no room for honesty or candor.

Why is the Senior VP still with the company?

You need to understand your sales process. This is a consultative sale that requires anywhere from 30-60 minutes to complete. You need good people to connect with your customers.

Your managers should be managers. Let them run their stores. You may even be surprised to find out that 400 managers are smarter than one senior VP. When you give people control they will give you great effort and loyalty. When you treat people like numbers and think you can berate them you will find they only do the bare minimum.

I get more stimulation from a cup of decaf.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Decent pay (salary plus commission) + benefits package (well, at least before they took away 401k match and payroll deduction when you buy stuff)
    Total staff count of 3 - so we learn to take care of each other and personal relationships are incredibly strong (at least it is at my store)
    Very relaxed environment usually, unless upper management fancies a visit.
    AMAZING product and it's a wonderful feeling when you really improve lives.
    Selling process is designed with the belief that following it to a T will allow for even a plastic bag to become an excellent salesperson - if you have no sales experience and are easily brainwashed - you're a perfect candidate! (Just don't expect to make any money that way though... if you're coming on board please remember to use the process as a guideline, do not lose your personality.)

Cons

Used to be a great company to work for, but ever since the Executive VP of Sales brought on a few of her friends, this company has gone from good to well.....heh.

Anyone above a store manager is only there to light a fire under our behinds, they are supposedly there to support the sales staff, but after all these years of working for the company, I still cannot tell you what a DM or a RD possibly does to bring in income for the company. They don't go out and find ways to bring in more business to us, all they do is send out obscene amounts of emails a day, telling us to go sell something, to "call those customers" (Yes sir, I know you came in about 2 years ago and you've gotten another bed since then, and I've called you 17 times in the last 3 days and sent you 351 postcards, but we have such a great deal going on right now!) The only contact we have with them other than that is when we need an approval for $6 to be credited to a customer (yup, the managers have no ability to do anything, all they are Sales Reps that make the schedule).

You will hear the phrase "owning our business" A LOT. But now that the company is getting ready for a transition, RDs and above are pointing all their fingers (and toes) at everyone else (DMs, SMs, Sales Reps) as the ones being responsible for the lack of business. There is such a thing as MARKETING you know....

As far as advancement opportunities go... Good luck. Don't expect to go any further than a store manager. They haven't promoted from within for as long as I've been there (going on 5 years now).

Also, if you're the type that enjoys doing something at work, be forewarned that it is quite possibly the most boring job on earth. After all this is over, I'll be able to audition for the role of a corpse successfully from all the staring into space I do on a day-to-day basis. There WILL be times when you go an entire day without speaking to a single person.

The company keeps hiring people from outside with holier-than-thou attitudes who treat the sales force like disposable min. wage workers just here for a summer job. They say they value input, but being truly honest can and WILL get you fired these days, or at least bullied to the point of quitting because the individual is seen as someone who does not believe in the company (SHAMEFUL.. tsk tsk upper management..) It's amazing, considering that we average about $40k a year, AND happen to be the people bringing in any sort of money for the company.

Your salespeople love and truly believe in the product. We are the ones who are on the front-lines every single day talking to the consumer. Have a bit of faith that we are a pretty smart bunch who can help in the company's success and longevity - we WANT the company to succeed because this is a product that has changed lives!

There are newer employer reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort