Sleep Number by Select Comfort
www.sleepnumber.com Minneapolis, MN 1000 to 5000 Employees

Do you have a log for that?

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

ProsEasy product to sell. Clean showroom and scripted sales actually works for this product. Accessories are easy to sell.

ConsI was fed up with everything I had to do and fed up with dealing with management. I have been written up at least once every single week over petty stuff that is all in my opinion part of the learning process but of course it must be documented so that there is a bank created should I need to be terminated for whatever reason.

I made mistakes on sales and as a result lost my commission on them. Where was management to look over sales orders and insure I was doing the right thing? I do not have the support or guidance from management as I worked with customers to insure I was complying with the plethora of company policies and procedures. Of course with a degree in psychology management can state that they were simply enforcing company procedures and I am the bad employee who won't comply. This company is insane with logs for every little thing and its rules surrounding any sales. I am surprised there isn't a log for farting. No real discounts offered to owners who are loyal customers to the SN bed.

I am required to call and harass people to the point of them not wanting to answer their phone and forced to leave a voice message. What does that say when a customer won't answer? They are no longer interested or not ready. How is my calling them every week going to do anything but annoy them. If they had actually been considering buying the bed but sincerely not ready to buy, my calls run the risk of them NOT buying the bed. Since I am new, I don't have 30 people to call every single day. So I must call 1 yr old leads that are more than likely dead leads!?! Crazy! Meanwhile all during that year, the company sends coupons upon coupons out to these leads and if they aren't interested, they aren't interested. how is my calling going to suddenly convince them differently other than bug them to the point where they don't consider buying?!

I thought I could bring something different to select comfort but with a log for everything, there was no way of doing things any differently than the scripted sales corporate expects and demands you follow. If you don't there is proof you didn't. No individuality allowed from your salespeople but become robots repeating rehearsed scripts. There is even a log for that?!I have never in my 20 yrs ever had this level of micro management to deal with. It forces the manager to be a jerk to people and there are numerous complaints on the glassdoor website about working for select comfort.

The income potential is not 50-60k but 30-40k. Any bonus has all these requirements to meet or you don't get it. And BREAD, how is bread let alone 5 lbs of it an incentive plus 14 criteria that must be met or no bread. I felt like doing a Broadway rendition of Oliver food glorious food when that came in. I want more please.

I overheard management speaking to an applicant who had already interviewed with another store manager who didn't want to hire him and the store manager was telling him how he would be a great fit and all, basically lying to this man who may overlook other job offers in his quest for employment. Is this what management did to me, not expecting me to actually make the move but when I did get here, out of some weird sense of obligation since I had traveled cross country hired me anyways.

I don't think management wanted me as an employee and that was made quite clear to me on more than one occasion with comments like "had I known such and such about you, I wouldn't have hired you" and said this in front of another employee.

All in all, I think select comfort offers a great product line and selling the bed is the easy part but all the nit picking paperwork and behind the scenes stuff makes the job miserable.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your degree on psychology and turn on yourself! Be honest with employees and treat them with respect and not as a child. I don't feel I was getting the needed information in the format that has been set up by select comfort or it simply wasn't being presented to me in a way so that I could understand it. There has been allot of pressure placed on me by management to just perform when I didn't feel I had all the information to perform with. The only response I get is me being psycho-analyzed and the fact I should be doing this with all my experience. The training process needs to be followed as if I have never sold these beds before without any parts being skipped, even if it is stuff I already know. Every time the same information is given to me, I learn something more from it since it is given in a new format. I need to learn how Select comfort wants me to represent the product line. I hope management will be more patient and make sure people truly understand each step of the process and what is being presented to them. I didn't have this feedback from management and felt so pressured to just perform which built up allot of frustrations because I didn't fully understand what was being expected of me.

Decent pay, but little chance of advancement.

Sleep Expert (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros: Great product with a loyal following of customers. Good base pay… Cons: Extreme favoritism shown by district and regional managers to certain stores. Unfair budgets based on whether or not you kiss your district managers rear end. Too much… Advice to Senior Management: Select Comfort needs to decide if it a mattress retailer who sells bedding, or if it is a bedding retailer who sells mattresses. When… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Selling by Numbers is a joke Horrible Management

Sleep Expert (Former Employee)
    Brea, CA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros: Good pay for little work Hourly pay + Commission + Bonus(monthly… Cons: The selling process is ridiculous "SBN", has to be done exactly as scripted Beds are way over priced, almost… Advice to Senior Management: Have district managers spend more time in stores and have more training for store managers. I would only see the district manager about once every… More
There are newer reviews on Sleep Number by Select Comfort.

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!

Sleep Number by Select Comfort – Why Work for Us?

We are Sleep Number. And for over 25 years, we’ve been changing the way the world sleeps—one person, one experience at a time. Based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, we are the designers, manufacturers, marketers and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sleep Number by Select Comfort reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sleep Number by Select Comfort CEO Shelly Ibach. All reviews posted anonymously by Sleep Number by Select Comfort employees.