There are newer employer reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Best job in retail

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Easy selling model to follow. I like the emphasis on low pressure selling. Upper management takes the time to connect with associates and go into the stores to see what is going on at the store level.

Cons

Commission is good could be better considering how much we sell. Some associates are aggressive vs. team players. Store managers could be more qualified.

The company is overall a great company to work for, I think middle management could listen to the associates more when they have concerns. I also think the hourly could be a little bit more, or the commission could be a little higher.

150 Other Employee Reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort (View Most Recent)

For retail, this is a good job choice.

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

The sales procedure is low pressure. You guide the customer through the bed selection rather than hard sell. The beds are great, but accessories pretty high priced.

Cons

I had no training from my store manager. Trained online, which was only available at the store, and watching other employee. I later found out this employee was not following the company sales procedure and had been written up several times in the year he worked there. Store managers usually support their employees if a customer dispute comes up. Senior management and HR support the customer.

Make online training available from home.

Good and Bad Are Usually Equal

Current Employee - Sleep Professional
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Guaranteed Hourly and Commission (No Draw System)
    Commissions can be great if your goal is not astronomical and the up system is abided by
    Frequent company updates on new products
    Fairly Flexible Schedule during the week but not weekends
    Usually small work crew 3-4 per store
    Great health benefits
    Selling By Numbers does work-if you take it upon yourself to tailor it to the individual's needs.
    GREAT Product. I own one and it DOES help me sleep better.
    Detailed process for advancing from Sleep Associate to Professional to Expert.
    Not hard to sell beds, when someone is legitimately interested!
    Ability to help people sleep better.
    Few returns if you sell people the mattress they NEED and can comfortably afford instead of milking customer for every dollar.

Cons

***Note- I have only worked at one store, so this applies to it. I am not sure about others.***
    Having to compete with your boss for sales. If SM doesn't abide by the up system policy then they can and will affect your ability to make money.
    Mgrs can abuse schedules.
    Pay scale for store bonuses are WAY out of whack between SMs and SPs.
    PTO for SPs not fair, 1.4 hrs per week especially when there is NO sick time.
    Mgr constantly wanting to "skill practice" which only purpose that serves is for them to bury your sales technique, especially if you are selling more than them.
    Mgr will delegate his responsibilities to you (signage, inventories, checking shipments in), in order to sell more.
    Limited Flexibility within Selling By Numbers. Can't treat customers like human beings.
    Insane marketing ideas (telling people that there is a Sleep Number in their DNA)
    Sales goals are inconsistent, you can sell the same amount one month but make WAY less.
    No local advertising for smaller market stores. SMs and SP's have to get out and create own events, and find local radio sponsors.
    Too Many Unwanted Phone Calls.
    Will strip your commission in a heartbeat if you make a mistake, but will take ages if commissions need to be adjusted in your favor.
    No advancement possiibilities if in a small market reigon.

Have DM's review SM's scheduling practices and their commitment to the companie's written "UP" policy.
    Have DMs respond to individual store managers in a timely fashion.
    Increase local advertising for smaller market stores. We can't all live in cities with 1-2 mill populations.

There are newer employer reviews for Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!