Best retail job I've had

Pros

Decent amount of free time. Co-workers are fun. Not labor intensive. Great training program. Good promotion opportunities both in title and responsibility. Best 401k of ANY company I worked for. My managers legitimately care.

Cons

Hours are long and no weekends. It is retail. Pay is either high or low. But they did tell me all these things ahead of time. High washout rate. Although they do let you off there is no sick leave. Health coverage is pricy but its free once you become a manager.

Advice to Management

I know things can difficult considering this business and it is up to us to keep work life balance, but sick time would be nice.

Other Employee Reviews for Sleep Train Mattress Centers

Great retail company to work for!

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time

Pros

The Sleep Train has a pretty great culture which cultivates team work, having fun, and career long learning (personal and professional growth). The company promotes based on your abilities and chooses the applicant which will bring the most to a position, rather than basing decisions off of tenure. The chance for advancement is great with the ability to step into management position rapidly if you take the job seriously and put your best foot forward each day. The employees at the company are treated with respect and viewed as the reason for our companies success, and rewarded for their hard work - especially those that perform well in sales. If you struggle in sales, you are given multiple opportunities to improve and training to do so. Rather than other sales/performance based companies that cut your position quickly if you struggle. I highly recommend a sales position to my friends and family members and have encouraged them to apply if they are interested.

Cons

With any company there are going to be positives and negative. First thing to be aware of is that you are applying for a retail position. This means you will be working retail hours which include weekends and a couple long shifts during the week. There can be a bit of down time in between helping guests. On any given day you could be busy from the second you walk in the door to when you clock out and head home.....or you could have a block of 3 hours of down time before another guest walks in. This means you'll need to bring a good book or movie to work - or even better - spend your down time researching the industry, sales, competition, and looking for ways to improve your sales and make more money. You need to have a strong mind and stay positive. Those that become pessimistic often go into their own downward spiral. Guests can feel when you are not genuinely positive. The pay is above average, but you can certainly make more at one of the competitors in the industry. However with Sleep Train, you will get additional benefits (Fun events like company picnics, paid community service days, district dinner events, Employee Ownership, health benefits, 401k with 10% employer match, lots of contest with great prizes, career growth, better training, etc).

Advice to Management

Increase SLT/DSL/DTL pay to match the level of responsibility that is required for the position.

Sales Associate Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Leandro, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Leandro, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers as an intern

Pros

Opportunity to make a lot of money Great fun company to work for

Cons

Commission only The product (beds) is pretty lame Customers can be rude at times- only care about price Some sales goals seem unreachable