Distribution Center Supervisor

I worked at Sleepy's full-time

Pros

Opportunity for advancement and clean environment that makes people feel good about their job.

Cons

Training was weak and micro managing by upper management

Advice to Management

Compensation is average and training needs to be more hands on.

Other Employee Reviews for Sleepy's

Don't be fooled!

Former Employee - Mattress Professional in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Mattress Professional in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sleepy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid training and nice Co-workers

Cons

Once you complete training be ready to endure the opposite of what you are taught. The DM's are under a lot of pressure to get bodies in stores and are willing to break their Values and Ethics if they had any when they were hired. You will be promised the world and then asked to Marry the store and forget your family or life. You will be asked to lie to customers and work excessive hours with little to no customers to even attempt to beat the draw they so graciously give you to bury yourself in a Hole. As soon as I was placed in a store 2 of the three existing employees walked and left me stranded. This company will not be loyal to you so do not waste your loyalty on them.

Advice to Management

Stop opening stores until you have a staff that you will treat well enough to retain. Remember your people while you are so ego driven to crush the competition. You are crushing your own people to feed your silly ego.

Decent earning potential, but long hours.

Current Employee - Mattress Professional in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Mattress Professional in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's absolutely possible to make good money here, especially in light of the recent changes! You can't please everyone, but I feel that this company is certainly trying. They've made long overdue strides toward being more competitive in the industry overall, and have addressed concerns such as being stuck in underperforming stores, and bonus structure better, and the addition of an incentive program. They do factor in individual (sales) performance when creating the schedule, so obviously you need to be able to produce results of you want to be scheduled in good stores. Though I've been thorough several already, overall I have been happy with the management teams I've worked for in this company. The job may seem overwhelming at first, but once you get a handle on how things work, it's pretty simple. I am very pleased with the company and I enjoy working here!

Cons

Having to work 11 hour days alone, and every weekend and holiday were difficult adjustments for me, but I understand why it's set up as such: Some of it just comes with the territory of working in retail, and earning partial is usually better on weekends and holidays anyway. Also working alone means not having to compete for commission or share what you make for the day.

Advice to Management

Hours of operation could certainly be a bit shorter. There's no good reason to be open until 9pm every night. Also, in some places there are several Sleepy's within a short distance of one and another, which can affect commissions. I think it would be wise to close some of them.