Smart Meetings

www.smartmeetings.com
There are newer employer reviews for Smart Meetings

Working at Smart Meetings

I have been working at Smart Meetings

Pros

--Hard working, fun staff
--Owners that are passionate about the industry and product
--Terrific perks
--Beautiful office and location
--Rewarding work in a fast-paced environment

Cons

--Workplace can be negative at times
--Turnover makes it hard to get into a consistent workplace groove

Foster and encourage a positive work environment. Smart Meetings thrives when employees are treated kindly and the team is encouraged to work together.

Nov 22, 2013Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Perks and rewards are many here including travel and bonuses. If you have anything else you would like to share, please email our HR department at ... More

45 Other Employee Reviews for Smart Meetings (View Most Recent)

Worst Job Ever!

I worked at Smart Meetings full-time

Pros

A nice looking magazine with great clients and co-workers. Their office is decorated in fun colors and overlooks the marina. Many employees get to travel and this is an excellent way to escape the stressful office environment.

Cons

If your former employment experience has been with a larger, professional company, you may be shocked by how different the environment is at this small media company. The employees are subjected to the constant mood swings of the husband and wife team and their dysfunctional fear-driven management style.

Employees live in fear that they could be fired at any time as this is a common occurrence at Smart Meetings. For a company that has only around 20 employees, the staff turn-over is shocking! You can confirm this by checking the staff masthead on previous issues. Simply go to smartmeetings.com, click on “The Magazine” and then “Find Past Issues”. Verbal abuse is very common in this toxic environment and many employees spend their spare time looking for another job.

If the job you are considering includes travel, you will likely be told you must fly out and return on your own time, during the weekend. While on the road, do not count on any free time during the evenings to explore the area or meet up with friends for dinner. After a full day of work you will be expected to travel to your next destination that evening or work in your hotel room. I was advised I could be fired if the owners ever learned I had dined with friends while traveling on business, as they view this type of behavior as a distraction from your work.

Expense reimbursement can also be a nightmare. You’ll need to seek out low-priced hotels, car rentals and meals or pay the difference yourself. I witnessed them rejecting expense reports for very trivial things, such as over-tipping a valet by a dollar or tipping 18% for good service with a meal. (They cap meal tips at 15%). When an expense report is returned to the employee for “corrections” this can further delay receipt of their expense check.

After reading the many negative reviews from former employees, if you still feel you want to try working here, read your employment offer very carefully before signing it, although the owners can change anything on a whim anyway. Employees are regularly subjected to pay cuts, cancelled vacation days and sales territory demotions. Expect to work long hours including the weekends.

Paranoia is abundant in this office and workers are encouraged to pit one against the other. Management frowns upon employees socializing at lunch or after hours. The health benefits offered are not great and very expensive compared to other employers and no sick time is offered. This was most certainly the worst job experience of my entire life and I was very relieved when I left.

Nov 22, 2013CEO

Sales trips are not vacations-lots of sales people meet up with friends-sounds like this is all this person wanted to do. When employees exaggerate on expenses our HR department re-frames-I hope they ... More

Toxic and demoralizing

I worked at Smart Meetings full-time

Pros

A company with a brilliant business model and so much potential to sustain long-term success. Sadly because of the owners' business practices, karma will eventually catch up with them and this company will most likely fail in the long run.

Cons

There are no written company policies, procedures or guidelines leaving plenty of room to make everything up on a daily basis. This keeps staff in the dark and in a constant state of confusion and/or panic. This company thrives on demoralizing, insulting and instilling fear in its staff and operates in a back stabbing environment. Anyone with any self-respect and integrity will steer clear!

A company CAN in fact succeed by operating in a positive, trusting and encouraging environment. Utilizing these principals reinforces employee loyalty and retention. Try it, you might find it works!

Nov 22, 2013CEO

BBM has always had a company manual and it is extremely detailed with all guidelines. We grew too fast and hired some bad eggs-our Karma has kicked in and we have great people now that we are excited ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Smart Meetings