Fast-pased, start-up feel

Former Employee - Web Department in Sausalito, CA
Former Employee - Web Department in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Smart Meetings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of great opportunities to travel, and working at the company events are among the most fun days of work I've ever had. There were several times where, having an idea for something new, I could present it to the CEO/CFO and would be told to run with it. Being able to work a project from inception to completion is a really great opportunity, and is just one of the examples of how the company has a start-up feel.

Cons

The location is a pretty cool benefit, but also a bit isolating. Sausalito is gorgeous, and the downtown district is only about a 4 minute drive away. Walking distance, there's 3-4 restaurants in the area for lunch, and a great waterfront park to eat at if brown-bagging, but I was sometimes jealous of the downtown SF crowd. (It is entirely possible that this has changed recently. That neighborhood is ripe for redevelopment / some funky art galleries and whatnot.)

The inevitable flip-side of the start-up setting is that there's a lot to do, and if working on a new pet project, the old ones don't just go away.

Advice to Management

Noticed recently that the staff has grown pretty significantly in the last three years. This probably cut some of the workload, which may be good (I tend to like the busier pace and wouldn't know which set of tasks I'd have wanted to pass off to someone else).

Not sure that's advice, but it's what comes to mind. That and the Monday morning meetings could have been shorter. Or maybe every other Monday.

Smart Meetings Response

Nov 22, 2013Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We value your creativity and your new ideas. If you have anything you would like to share, please email our HR department at humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Yikes.

I worked at Smart Meetings full-time

Pros

A paycheck, if you weren't already getting one.

Cons

Honestly? Forget the actual reviews – to really know what it's like to work here, just scroll down to the small print and read the CEO's rebuttals. That's the tone you will find permeating the workplace, every day.

Mondays were a particular treat: an opportunity for the CEO to denounce whichever employee most recently left the company as "disloyal," and to compare people still around who messed up to "terrorists." More than once, the admonishment, "It only takes one terrorist, and then we all have to remove our shoes."

Sorry. I wish I were joking.

Advice to Management

Kudos for finally adding PTO; your truly loyal employees deserve at least that.

Smart Meetings - A reason to look elsewhere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Smart Meetings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. An hour out of the office for lunch
    2. An renewed sense of appreciation of all my previous work environments and managers and really appreciate the new gig

Cons

Many reviews here describe more of the "unpleasant" details. Some are embellished a bit for drama but, sad to say, true.

Management seems to be stuck in the 1950's concerning managerial style and expectations of the usefulness and loyalty of their employees.

Management team of two (when I was there) were openly hostile to employees and constant use of threatening language and most issue escalated to "the sky is falling" histrionics in most staff meetings and one on one staff interactions that I witnessed.

Ugliest professional experience in so many ways, it's almost like.."you wouldn't believe me if I told I ya..."

Advice to Management

Despite the rebuttals and positive comments here, it's unfortunate that the negative reviews here read more as factual and come from real experience, so I recommend working on your rebuttals and any of the positive reviews (so lacking in substance..really, I'm shocked!) you might post.

No sure what you guys can do to improve. My guess is that you probably think you're already doing everything right.

I would suggest you treat your employees as collaborators and not order takers or worse..slaves that are made to work long hours on a whim as opposed to a legitimate business reason.

Lastly, apologize for your behavior to all your past and current employees. You guys really need to work on your interpersonal skills.

Smart Meetings Response

Nov 22, 2013CEO

We took our staff to Rod Stewart and Prince concerts, we get a fabulous box for giants games every year. We have the best Xmas party and go all out for our staff- we have offered flex time , summer ... More