Great Career Opportunity for Mid Size, Growing Tech Company in Boston

Current Employee - CMO  in  Boston, MA
Current Employee - CMO in Boston, MA

I have been working at SmartBear Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am the new CMO with 10 weeks into the company as of end of May 2014. Prior to joining, I served as a consultant. What I found while consulting was the huge potential SmartBear has in some very exciting markets with a lot of growth potential. I also discovered a great marketing team. For me, the chance to accelerate the company growth, work with a top marketing team, hire, expand globally, and move from Beverly into the city over time, was too much to pass up. Couple that with some new APM technology acquired from Lucierna to expand AlertSite and the company is very compelling. If you are looking for a great opportunity with a mid-sized tech company in Boston that is profitable and growing, SmartBear is a great place to look. If you are hiring for a marketing position, you will definitely meet me and can ask why I chose to join. If you are hiring for another position, ask to get on my calendar and I can tell you why I am so excited about working at SmartBear.

Cons

Right now, marketing is understaffed and we are hiring. Lots to do, until we get staffed up, we either have to pass on great opportunities or stretch to get work done. More hiring, faster!

Beverly location not ideal - but company changing to Boston/North Station/Summerville location soon.

Other Reviews for SmartBear Software

Toxic Environment

I worked at SmartBear Software for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, though the post from my Russian colleague would indicate that's not true globally. There are some really talented people (all of whom are looking for other jobs).

Cons

Micromanagement. The CEO has a desk in the corner of the main floor, which is home to the sales, marketing, and services functions. It's not to make him more accessible or part of the team, however. It’s higher than the other desks for the purpose of monitoring who is at their desks, for how long, and when they come and go. He's even known to sit by the front door late on friday afternoons. It’s no wonder the moniker “Mr. Burns” (from The Simpsons) is used by employees to refer to him.

The CEO recently addressed the company and referred to it as “a factory.” This is completely accurate. In fact, if you look at the management principles applied in the 19th century, you’ll find remarkable parallels.

If you're looking for reasons why morale is poor, quality people are leaving weekly, and performance is suffering... look in a mirror.

Lots of hype from Marketing and Sales, but little substance due to multiple massive layoffs

Former Employee - Sales  in  Beverly, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Beverly, MA

I worked at SmartBear Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Honestly cannot think of any

Cons

When a company starts getting a reputation for greed and profit-maximization rather than product development and employee satisfaction, the cool factor tends to suffer. SmartBear screwed-over workers with years of experience at the company in favor of less experienced workers with lower salaries. This is not something the company wants people to think or even hear about when they see the SmartBear logo.

Its not necessary to humiliate employees when firing them or laying them off. Just do what you need to do without the extra lack of professionalism and tact.

There are newer employer reviews for SmartBear Software.

Worked for SmartBear Software? Contribute to the Community!