There are newer employer reviews for Smarter Travel

Very Happy Here

Current Employee - Software Engineering Lead  in  Boston, MA
Current Employee - Software Engineering Lead in Boston, MA

I have been working at Smarter Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers and teammates are awesome. Compensation and benefits vastly exceed expectations I had only a few years ago. Engineering team is strong with many knowledgeable engineers to learn from and as a bonus they're mostly all nice people too. Opportunities to work on new products and ideas arise fairly frequently. Technology stack is fairly fresh and engineering management is pretty good about introducing new technologies and giving devs opportunities to try out new stuff.

Cons

Engineering is stretched a little thin and senior management tends to push for pretty aggressive deadlines, which leads to some folks on the engineering team being stretched a little thin.

I don't want us to lose anyone due to burnout so I might consider easing up on some deadlines especially for those teams that are already exerting themselves pretty heavily.

26 Other Employee Reviews for Smarter Travel (View Most Recent)

Senior Management is in need of change

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Smarter Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Under the TripAdvisor umbrella
    Competitive salary
    Good benefits, including travel reimbursement

Cons

There are limited opportunities for career development and growth. There is no diversity in the Senior management team. Only type A males are invited to have a seat at the table.

Diversification could have a substantial and effective impact on the company and female employee morale.

Fun place to work with AMAZING people! Interesting problems to solve, and meaningful work to be done!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Smarter Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The people are AMAZING to work with. I feel really lucky to get to work with such a great team every day!
    - Company is growing, but has maintained the small company feeling - we just moved to a great new office in the North End in January to bring us all together on one floor.
    - The Senior Management team is approachable - doing away with offices for managers was a really great idea
    - Employees are treated like adults and are trusted to get their stuff done
    - Benefits & perks are great - 100% health insurance for employee-only plans, 401(k) match, RSU grants, generous vacation policy, travel benefits and discounts, chair massages once a month, catered lunch twice a week.

Cons

- There is a bit of an 'us' and 'them' mentality between the Boston & New York teams which needs to be addressed
    - There is a HUGE gap between SmarterTravel and TripAdvisor, the parent company. Does anyone at TA actually understand who we are and what we do here?
    - Our teams are lean, which leaves some teams feeling overwhelmed and short on resources

Work on keeping the small company feeling. Work on better integrating the Boston & New York teams.

There are newer employer reviews for Smarter Travel

Worked for Smarter Travel? Contribute to the Community!