Good for transition into the industry

Former Employee - Program Senior Associate  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Program Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was able to learn a lot, however walked onto a very disorganized and chaotic client. I worked full time on the admin side. You could most likely get what you need to get and transition to a higher role at another institution. I loved making a lot of friends there and my teammates on the core team.

Cons

It's a very young company where the turnover is high and the compensation is not fully competitive for the DC market. It was a very disorganized environment where there needed to be a lot of structural initiatives to help efficiency. The professional learning can be good. However don't expect to move up quickly in salary.

Pay more and hire at the appropriate level commensurate with work experience and education!!!

Other Reviews for SmithBucklin

Great People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SmithBucklin

Pros

The people that work here are one of the main reasons I would suggest someone work at SmithBucklin. Many of the people I have met are friends I know I'll keep in touch with for years to come.

Cons

The managers here have no training on how to manage people. There is a high turnover rate due to the fact that most people start here right out of college and see it as an okay first job. Transition is not managed very well and due to the high turnover rate, this is never a good thing.

My advice would be to pay more attention to those that you hire or promote to manager level work. Not everyone is capable of managing effecively and a bad manager makes it easy to leave your job.

A rewarding but very challenging place to work - not for everyone

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SmithBucklin

Pros

- A lot of really great, smart people work here. When you've got time to really strategize and brainstorm, some excellent work gets done.
    - Diversity of clients and types of work
    - Opportunities for learning and professional growth
    - Solid salary and benefits structure
    - Downtown Chicago location - and moving to new HQ office in late 2012 that will be even better

Cons

- Clients' financial challenges and mismanagement (by volunteers and sometimes by execs) can make it difficult to do good work, and to do it on time. LOTS of curve balls thrown at you. Be prepared. This is not a place for people who need smooth sailing.
    - Ebb and flow of work - some periods (rare) are slow, while others are manic to the point of lunacy
    - Turnover can be high in some service areas - but in some cases that's a good thing - as people who simply couldn't handle it (or were apathetic ) chose to leave, better people are typically hired in their place
    - The ugly Marilyn statue outside the building (ha!)

Continue the hire the best and brightest and promote those who have earned it through honest effort and hard work.

There are newer employer reviews for SmithBucklin.

Worked for SmithBucklin? Contribute to the Community!