Fun Culture, Cool People, Interesting Work

Current Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SmithBucklin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Business-casual attire, pretty strict 8:30-5pm workday, workout facility on-site, employee owned stock program, awesome office location, cafeteria on-site

Cons

No shorts in the summer, new employee referral bonus is very low compared to others, not a lot of inter-team mingling

Advice to Management

Facilitate more socializing between teams! I feel like the only people I communicate with on a daily basis are the same five people.

reviews filtered by

Great place to work and learn

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at SmithBucklin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are innumerable opportunities to learn new things and move up - but you have to work for it and ask for it. Nothing is handed to you (and that's ok!)
    They've recently implemented a great people manager training series, which I have never seen at another company. They're committed to training people managers to improve retention.
    My unit head is VERY approachable and receptive to feedback and ideas. He's very communicative with the unit about what is going on and does a great job giving positive feedback.

Cons

The pay is not great.
    The workload is intense, and it's difficult to have a work/life balance.
    My association executive has completely unrealistic and unmanageable expectations about pace of work, and it gets draining.
    There is little autonomy at the manager level.
    The structure is a little top heavy. On my client team, we have a much higher percentage of team members at the manager level and above than at the client level. This is very frustrating for associates who have to go through 3 people to get anything approved.

Advice to Management

Invest in the core professional group; help them to feel valued and to develop their skills.

hard work and high learning curve

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at SmithBucklin full-time

Pros

Great work life balance. fun, young employees. This job will be what you make it.

Cons

Lower pay scale comparatively, (but the company has recently done more salary surveys). work can get overwhelming and there little incentive to work harder.

Advice to Management

bring back more employee benefits. invest in technological infrastructure and training. increase client fees.