There are newer employer reviews for SmithBucklin

Fun Culture, Cool People, Interesting Work

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SmithBucklin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Business-casual attire, pretty strict 8:30-5pm workday, workout facility on-site, employee owned stock program, awesome office location, cafeteria on-site

Cons

No shorts in the summer, new employee referral bonus is very low compared to others, not a lot of inter-team mingling

Facilitate more socializing between teams! I feel like the only people I communicate with on a daily basis are the same five people.

85 Other Employee Reviews for SmithBucklin (View Most Recent)

Great career opportunity!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SmithBucklin full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The range of opportunities available at SmithBucklin allow newcomers to get the experience of growing small companies (association clients) and allow more seasoned pros to lead these small businesses (as executive directors). Everyone knows what's expected from their team and from them individually, due to strong training and feedback systems. There are also many opportunities to socialize - from the popcorn Wednesdays to the town hall meetings, Chase Challenge and Charity Makes Sense holiday gala. I mention the great career opportunity because I have seen many people boomerang back into the organization after leaving, and I've also had people within our group placed in different groups with which they expressed interest. The pay is very good for an organization focused on association (largely not-for-profit) organizations, and an ESOP allow each employee to share in the growth the organization experiences.

Cons

There is no end to what volunteer- led organizations can expect, so a position at SmithBucklin can be very time-consuming. It's not an organization I would recommend for someone who doesn't like variety or who doesn't welcome change and challenges.

The Leadership Learning Forum is a powerful training program and a strong differentiator for SmithBucklin. I believe should be introduced earlier on in a person's career at SmithBucklin, so the principles of leadership - who we are, what we do, what we enable and what we inspire - are ingrained in all in our culture from their very first year.

Great place to work and learn

Current Employee - Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at SmithBucklin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are innumerable opportunities to learn new things and move up - but you have to work for it and ask for it. Nothing is handed to you (and that's ok!)
    They've recently implemented a great people manager training series, which I have never seen at another company. They're committed to training people managers to improve retention.
    My unit head is VERY approachable and receptive to feedback and ideas. He's very communicative with the unit about what is going on and does a great job giving positive feedback.

Cons

The pay is not great.
    The workload is intense, and it's difficult to have a work/life balance.
    My association executive has completely unrealistic and unmanageable expectations about pace of work, and it gets draining.
    There is little autonomy at the manager level.
    The structure is a little top heavy. On my client team, we have a much higher percentage of team members at the manager level and above than at the client level. This is very frustrating for associates who have to go through 3 people to get anything approved.

Invest in the core professional group; help them to feel valued and to develop their skills.

There are newer employer reviews for SmithBucklin

Worked for SmithBucklin? Contribute to the Community!