SmithBucklin

There are newer employer reviews for SmithBucklin

ESOP Has Its Privileges

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Being employee owned with an ESOP program means that I scored big when I left. I cashed out nearly double what I had contributed to my 401k. Also, I made a lot of great friends and professional colleagues at Smith Bucklin. Since all of us have left (a group of nearly 30), we have remained in close contact, and I foresee these professional relationships lasting a lifetime.

Cons

I'm still not sure whether my time at Smith Bucklin was worth it. They run you like a dog, working long, thankless hours, and without an end in sight. This explains how the ESOP profits -- because there's no skin off the company's nose when I'm billing out at 60 hrs a week and not compensated beyond my salary. Bonuses are skimpy and I couldn't take the time off that I accrued due to such demanding schedules and workload. The CEO is a force not to be reckoned with, and he can be downright nasty to anyone who doesn't drown in their own blood, sweat, and tears. All too often I heard, "this environment isn't for everyone." But no one can go at that grueling pace with no reward mechanism or breathing room for long. Run while you can.

This seems pointless, as the boy's club is just waiting for the CEO to retire aka take his money and run.

94 Other Employee Reviews for SmithBucklin (View Most Recent)

Overworked, underpaid and not appreciated by Management

Current Employee - Association Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Association Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SmithBucklin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flex time, company owned (when I leave, I will get a nice payout for retirement), lots of nice folks / co-workers, talented staff.

I stay because I care about my client and co-workers. Not because of the company.

Cons

Paid below industry standards, lack of opportunities to rise from within, boys club, don't trust upper management, bonuses are a joke, open door policy with upper management but don't tell them something that they don't want to hear / acknowledge. You will be demoted or fired. Growth opportunities are not given to those that work hard and are deserving.

Pay your staff more, and live by your company values and stop focusing on the bottom line. People care and accountability - what a joke!

Working at SmithBucklin is fulfilling and rewarding.

I have been working at SmithBucklin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great, high-energy, talented and they really care about the clients they serve. There is a unique culture that places high value on trust, communication and people care. There are countless opportunities to make a difference in your clients, the people you work for and in yourself.

Cons

The opportunities are great, but SmithBucklin demands the best from all of its employees. To be successful at SmithBucklin, you need to be flexible, resilient, resourceful with mental toughness. It's a great place to work, but it isn't for everyone.

Keep up the great work and spread the word about SmithBucklin and the important work that is done for the client organizations we serve.

There are newer employer reviews for SmithBucklin