SmithBucklin

www.smithbucklin.com
There are newer employer reviews for SmithBucklin

Good experience, but unless you're a 'Rising Star,' no growth potenial.

Former Employee - Registration Associate in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Registration Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good, talented, employes that want to grow. Because it's it's association mangement, you get to work with lots of different types of people and industries, so you get great experience dealing with people at all sorts of company levels.

Cons

My first two years were a good experience. Enjoyed the work and the people, even though most were younger than me (right out of school). My last year and a half I guess they figured I was not going to be a good fit and they wanted me to leave, which feels like the only explanation of what was going on. There are opportunities at the company for those that decide they want to give 200% in order to advance, but I have a life and want to live it so I refused to do that. I got penalized in my reviews for overbilling clients, but they would not assign me new clients or new work projects. Prior to that the work load was super crazy. My non-exempt job status should have allowed me to bring in additional overtime, but they create structures so that you can only charge so much time during travel. I never got a raise or promotion in my almost four years there. My manager was so swamped with his own clients, he had no time to really help us figure out good career paths at the company. They have created a culture where if anyone who worked under an association client had issue with a business unit employee, they never went to the employee to talk about the problem, they went straight to the Managers/senior managers and then the employee is blindsided by it at their review. It's difficult if you don't know how or want to play the game.

95 Other Employee Reviews for SmithBucklin (View Most Recent)

Great place to start a career

I have been working at SmithBucklin

Pros

Received great experience in the non profit accounting field

Cons

They don't compensate very well for the amount of work you do. Fun people to work with

Best job on several levels in my 20 year working career.

Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SmithBucklin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

SmithBucklin is an amazing place to work. The management passes on the success of the company through 100% employee ownership as well as suprises like the new iPads because the company had a great 2013. Most companies would take those profits and run with them or give bonuses to the execs. The team I work on is collaborative and each individual is bright and knowledgeable. We are encouraged to partake in training and professional development.

Cons

SmithBucklin is very open to hiring younger people and providing them opportunities. Sometimes this leads to hirer turn over because in my opinion they don't necessarily know what is out there and they might leave to chase a dollar or two raise not knowing what I do from personal experience and a long career, that an extra dollar or two doesn't compare to a great work environment.

Continue to share the success of the company with employees. There are many of us that do recognize and appreciate it.

There are newer employer reviews for SmithBucklin