SmithBucklin

www.smithbucklin.com
  www.smithbucklin.com
There are newer employer reviews for SmithBucklin

Good experience, but unless you're a 'Rising Star,' no growth potenial.

Former Employee - Registration Associate in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Registration Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good, talented, employes that want to grow. Because it's it's association mangement, you get to work with lots of different types of people and industries, so you get great experience dealing with people at all sorts of company levels.

Cons

My first two years were a good experience. Enjoyed the work and the people, even though most were younger than me (right out of school). My last year and a half I guess they figured I was not going to be a good fit and they wanted me to leave, which feels like the only explanation of what was going on. There are opportunities at the company for those that decide they want to give 200% in order to advance, but I have a life and want to live it so I refused to do that. I got penalized in my reviews for overbilling clients, but they would not assign me new clients or new work projects. Prior to that the work load was super crazy. My non-exempt job status should have allowed me to bring in additional overtime, but they create structures so that you can only charge so much time during travel. I never got a raise or promotion in my almost four years there. My manager was so swamped with his own clients, he had no time to really help us figure out good career paths at the company. They have created a culture where if anyone who worked under an association client had issue with a business unit employee, they never went to the employee to talk about the problem, they went straight to the Managers/senior managers and then the employee is blindsided by it at their review. It's difficult if you don't know how or want to play the game.

93 Other Employee Reviews for SmithBucklin (View Most Recent)

Great place to start a career

I have been working at SmithBucklin

Pros

Received great experience in the non profit accounting field

Cons

They don't compensate very well for the amount of work you do. Fun people to work with

Great Place with Great People

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

SmithBucklin does an excellent job of hiring high-quality, skilled professionals. Roles/departments are well-defined and if you are willing to work hard and truly want to learn and grow professionally, this is the right place for you. This is not the place for individuals who want to skate along, fly under the radar and not pull their weight.

The company has an evident commitment to employee development and ongoing learning. With a variety of clients and projects, you get exposure to many different types of work, organizations and people - as well as the opportunity to take part in directing your own career path by expressing interest areas and pursuing them.

The Marketing & Communications department is well managed with focus and strong leadership that cares about each employee's growth and interests.

If I was not relocating, I would never have left this company.

Cons

A lot of positions require travel and some require extra time during certain busy times of the year, so you have to be able to strike a balance and know when those times are for your clients.

Continue to develop your top performers and instill incentives for the amazing group of employees you have. Don't loose them! Not all departments were as well-managed as the MarComm department with close attention to individual bandwidth and utilization...this is so important within the client-based business that you work.

There are newer employer reviews for SmithBucklin