SmithBucklin

www.smithbucklin.com
  www.smithbucklin.com
There are newer employer reviews for SmithBucklin

Good experience with great (exceptional) people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time

Pros

The most genuine, honest review I can offer regarding employment at SmithBucklin can be condensed into five words: it is not for everyone. There. The cat is out of the bag; the cards are on the table; the truth has been exposed. Just like black olives on pizza, roller coaster rides and monogamy: working at SmithBucklin may not be the right thing ("fit") for everyone. The intent of saying so is not to trivialize constructive criticism or dismiss legitimate concerns on behalf of former and current employees, but simply to highlight that while SmithBucklin may not be for everyone (for what I believe to be a variety of justifiable reasons) - there are those (who stay and thrive and grow) who truly find their niche and calling in the work that they do on behalf of SmithBucklin and the client organizations they serve.

It is my belief, and drawn from my experience at the company, that SmithBucklin is successful because of its people - its passionate, extraordinarily hard-working, dedicated, resilient, talented, tenacious people. I am someone who all but stumbled into association management the way I imagine Max Planck "unintentionally" revolutionized physics - completely "accidental-like on a breeze." And as true as it is that I have been tasked with challenging work at SmithBucklin, it is equally accurate that the rewards and fruit of my (diligent) labor proved to be of significant value. I cannot say that I have not put in long hours (long, coffee-guzzling, hours that were interrupted with grace-saving pizza deliveries, encouraging emails and occasionally blaring the 300 soundtrack after hours for motivation)... but I can say it has been worth it every time (because of recognition, career development, networking opportunities and relationship-building with the aforementioned passionate, extraordinarily hard-working, dedicated, resilient, talented, tenacious people). So while there is merit in the idea that this is not easy work, I have to humbly declare that there is a tremendous amount of knowledge to gain and skills to learn - which, in my opinion, is not always easy to come by.

Additionally, and in the good nature of not speaking on behalf of others, I would render the experience I had at SmithBucklin as invaluable. And I would render it so because of the people I met and had the privilege to learn from and work with/for/in the vicinity of. I've grown personally and professionally in my time at SmithBucklin. It was an education and a friendship, and I am better for the experience.

Cons

Demanding environment; occasionally difficult (though not impossible) to master the art of striking a work-life balance.

94 Other Employee Reviews for SmithBucklin (View Most Recent)

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Membership Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Membership Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Care about well being of employees, room for growth, great place to start your career

Cons

Takes time to advance but the opportunity is there

I would not even consider making a 4 hour/day commute if I did not truly enjoy working here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SmithBucklin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Our people and our collaborative work environment certainly make it worthwhile coming to work each day.
    SmithBucklin is an amazing place to work with employee owners who genuinely care about each other and the success of our clients.

Cons

None that I have experienced.

Keep up the transparency and open door approach...it's working!

There are newer employer reviews for SmithBucklin