Smiths Detection

www.smithsdetection.com
  www.smithsdetection.com
There are newer employer reviews for Smiths Detection

I've had lots of opportunities!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edgewood, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edgewood, MD

I have been working at Smiths Detection

Pros

Great products that really make a difference.

I've had lots of oppotunities. I've filled the roles of embedded software developer, application developer, project manager, software department manager and now director of technology.

I feel I'm able to make a difference to the company and my staff. Senior management listens to me and takes my ideas seriously.

I've travelled the world!

Cons

Extremely difficult to hire new staff and unable to pay staff adquately.

Cross-cultural teams are difficult in that different sites are very skeptical of each other.

Worked to death sometimes!

Communicate more with employees. Try to focus the product development effort more. We can't do everything with just a few people. What we do we must do well!

60 Other Employee Reviews for Smiths Detection (View Most Recent)

Waiste of 3 years of my life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Smiths Detection

Pros

Compensation is average, benefits are OK. Work environment is casual. Many employees can work from home or have flex hours. Office space is new and very nice.

Cons

There is a favorotism toward certain employees. It seems it is the only way to get a promotion is if you "know" someone. There have not been any end of the year bonuses and raises for over 2 years. Top management uses world's bad economy as a reason for not giving any bonuses and raises but received bonuses themselves.

Top management is out of touch. The employees have spoken this year, most of the problems could be fixed with return of a bonus and end of the year raise. Otherwise there will be a mass exodus when the job market improves.

A Company sliding into oblivion.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pine Brook, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pine Brook, NJ

I worked at Smiths Detection

Pros

Compensation was equitable, but hard earned.

Cons

Senior managers have divergent goals and totally blind to reality and what really matters within the business units. Who you are and how you look valued far better that what you have accomplished. Clear distain for anyone "not my kind of guy" from business unit manager. Gross incompetence of senior management team has resulted in plummeting sales and accompanying morale. Once a market leader, now an also ran on a good day!

Clear the Senior Management decks and get some folks who will listen to reason and make logical and well discussed decisions.

There are newer employer reviews for Smiths Detection