There are newer employer reviews for Smithsonian

Intern

I worked at Smithsonian

Pros

Quiet and casual work atmosphere. Historic and pretty gardens.

Cons

Bureaucracy, lack of permanent job opportunities.

Better communication between departments, hr.

86 Other Employee Reviews for Smithsonian (View Most Recent)

A little boring and a lot of old male academics...

Current Employee - Anthropology Department  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anthropology Department in Washington, DC

I have been working at Smithsonian as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was great to be able to go on tours of the collections and be around tons of intellectual powerhouses. Some of these people literally wrote the book on the discipline.

Cons

Being cooped up in an office on the top floors of the Natural History museum could get very isolating. It was also difficult to be around so many tenured members that were very much stuck in their ways of doing things. The average age of the department was over 60 and male which made it a very masculine, conservative environment to work in. Also, all the internships are unpaid.

It might have been nice for the interns to have more abilities to connect with other departments (or really for all the departments to work together more).

My experience interning at the natural history museum was good, extremely relaxed, and I had a lot of independence

Former Employee - Smithsonian  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Smithsonian in Washington, DC

I worked at Smithsonian as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Excellent managers, cutting-edge research, very relaxed workplace, people who tend to be good at what they do (at least in the research department) with a lot of creative staff. A lot of museum perks - roaming around, free imax tickets.

Cons

Pay is pretty low, there isn't much guidance - at least where I was working, but that can be good too. The office we were in was pretty terrible, and the internal network (in terms of data storage and access) is pretty difficult to deal with and very disorganized.

There are newer employer reviews for Smithsonian

Worked for Smithsonian? Contribute to the Community!