Smule

www.smule.com

Great place to be heard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Every employee's ideas affect Smule's direction. Smule's products, in particular, are the result of input from everyone on the team. Everyone assumes ownership of what ships.

There's hierarchy, but in general the teams (engineering, marketing, management, product) collaborate to get things done.

Cons

Development practices are constantly under development. It's flexible, but sometimes disorienting.

At times, long hours are necessary, though you'll be well taken care of.

Keep it up. Smule has great people and a great vibe. Everyone's bought in and works together to make awesome stuff.

Other reviews for Smule

Intense, fun, off the charts creative place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

I love what we are trying to do: get as many people as possible to create music and discover how much fun that is. And its fun to imagine how it will f-up the music industry when 100M people are spending an hour a week creating music. One of the most dedicated, smart, passionate teams I've worked with--we've got Ph.D's in music, game industry vets, Apple UI gurus, and a professor on staff just to name a few. Pay is better than other startups at this stage that I've seen and risk is lower than I expected before I was considering working here--revenues are solid, opportunity is much bigger than 'just' mobile.

Cons

Working with passionate, smart people can be a double edged sword--discussions are more heated, expectations are higher. Not a great place for 9-5ers and folks that are looking to spend less time working but the WFH policy is good so that helps. Office is in Palo Alto which is fine if you're near there, but not if you live in SF. Not a lot of process so things can feel chaotic and fast if like me you're coming from a bigger company with more bureaucracy.

Fun! Exciting! Great people, we make cool products and I get to work with fun people and get paid too!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Fun people, I get to work with interesting technology on cool platforms. The upper level management has an open door policy and does listen to what engineers say. There is a flexible work schedule and no one punches a clock around here. There are also great benefits and lots of flex time. Food is good and there are lots of snacks.

Cons

None that I can think of, of course working in a startup its not a 9-5 gig so you do have to sometimes work after hours. But the work is interesting and you have the ability to come in later and come and go as you please.

Keep up the good work, its fun to work here and you listen to what we have to say.

There are newer employer reviews for Smule.

Worked for Smule? Contribute to the Community!