Snap-on

There are newer employer reviews for Snap-on

Poor communication Crystal Lake warehouse

Former Employee - Order Processing in Crystal Lake, IL
Former Employee - Order Processing in Crystal Lake, IL

I worked at Snap-on as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Fairly simple work. There is good music playing all day in the warehouse.

Cons

Terrible communication, hours fluctuate daily, little-to-no oversight.

There is a pre-shift meeting daily in the cafeteria to discuss what the work day looks like. That is great in theory, but the execution of these meetings are laughable. They are held in the cafeteria where there are literally a half dozen TVs blaring at full blast. I'm sitting ten feet away from the supervisor, and I cannot make out what he's saying. 2/3 of the time I was really unsure of what I was supposed to be doing after these "meetings" and I had to ask everyday. The supervisors don't seem very interested in anything other than sitting in their office all day staring at their computer screens. I found them to be very disengaged from the employees.

They also decide day to day if there is going to be mandatory overtime or not. I suppose I understand the workflow varies quite a bit, but if you have to maintain a set schedule for whatever reason, family or whatever, forget about it. The schedule literally changes during the course of the day. You go in expecting to work a normal 8 hour day, then suddenly they
 decide on the day that everyone has to work 2 hours of overtime. The work itself is clearly not evenly distributed among the employees. Some pickers/packers are stuck with huge orders while others have very small ones, and it's the employees themselves who can actually cherry-pick if they want what orders to take.

I knew after a few days that this place would not be for me. Luckily, I was able to get a much better job in every respect. I gave SnapOn a 2 week notice during midweek. I finished that week out. I was prepared to see the 2 weeks through, but was called the following Monday and told to not come in anymore. I wasn't bothered so much because I have a great job waiting for me. The only bad thing is the lost income for those 2 weeks, but that is the trade-off.

The employees here are made up of a combination of kids currently in school, retirees, and kids who maybe didn't get that far in school. So, I guess that speaks for itself. This job was a stop-gap for me, and thankfully the period of time there was short.

There has to be better communication.

68 Other Employee Reviews for Snap-on (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

Former Employee - Diagnostics Sales Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Diagnostics Sales Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at Snap-on full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Snap-on tools, Inc. is a strong brand name, with good benefits and a ninety plus year history in the blue collar tool industry, offers a sense of economic security to its employees.

Cons

Recently. Micro management at various division levels is leading to discontinuity and falling sales quotas for employees in the Diagnostics and information Group.The initial new hire training environment is loose and not focused on successfully launching new hires in the diagnostics division. Ever changing sales agendas takes away the time allocated towards achieving your compensation goal as originally outlined.

They have done everything possible to limit my income when I became a top sales person in the field.

Current Employee - Independent Sale Representative in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Independent Sale Representative in Poway, CA

I have been working at Snap-on full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You set your own working hours. Mine are 5:30 AM to 8:00 pm

Cons

Raise my objective 185% because I was told I was paid to much last year.

Don't have finance be in charge of your sales force. Don't have someone who is a short timer running a division only to make numbers off the back of their sales team. When they are gone your sales team that is left will be worthless.

There are newer employer reviews for Snap-on