There are newer employer reviews for Sobeys

I have had a pretty good experience, not without its negatives, but generally I really like the people I work with.

Current Employee - Office Clerk
Current Employee - Office Clerk

I have been working at Sobeys

Pros

The managers I work under are great! I have no problem communicating with them, and my schedule is quite flexible, seeing I have a busy family life as well. I think that in any company, if you are pleasant & respectful (and you do your job to the best of your abilities), that the same will generally be given in return. I think flexible hours for me are a pro.

Cons

I am sure as to any major chain store, that these negatives will generally be the same.
We do not have a set pay scale, as we are not a corporate store and we are not unionized.
We are expected to do more and more work, with less and less hours available. There simply is not enough time to get everything done!
Things are continually changing...just as you get use to doing something one way, head office comes back to us with another way, and expect us to change practically overnight.
I find that the moral where I work has been consistently going down, due to so many changes, and all of the expectations that are required.
I find it very hard to feel pride in your work and to keep caring, when things are continually being picked at and dictated to us, with such high expectations. I feel there is continuous pressure on all of the department managers and their employees, therefore bringing the morale down.
What ever happened to constructive criticism, followed by praise for those things that were done right?

My advice would be for those at head office to give us little people some slack, and maybe a little more notice to any changes that are expected to take place. More hours need to be allotted to adjust to these changes to carry them through more efficiently, as well as more hours are needed to be able to carry out the tasks already expected of everyone. I realize that you all have a job to do, and that your job is to do what is "best" from a financial perspective, but you also have to consider things from our perspective as the employees who are trying to carry our daily tasks.

146 Other Employee Reviews for Sobeys (View Most Recent)

Sobeys is a good employer

I have been working at Sobeys

Pros

Good pay, very flexable for personal lives.

Cons

The store is opened on weekends.

Sobeys is a good place to work.

It sucks.

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Regina, SK (Canada)
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Regina, SK (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys

Pros

-Good location
    -Decent pay
    -Decent coworkers

Cons

-Abusive management
    -Little to no freedom in your work
    -No chance of promotion
    -Little recognition of your work
    -Head Office ruins everything
    -Ugly uniforms
    -Filthy staffroom
    -Understaffed departments

Learn to treat your employees as people who have lives outside of the store. If your are understaffed, hire more people because if you do you will be able to generate more income and put less stress on your overworked employees. Give them a weekend/holidays off once in a while because they deserve it for working so hard, remember they are as human as you are. Show them kindness, set up staff fun events outside of work, bring donuts for the staff room, have contests, etc. Do something to show your staff that you as the leader, respect and care about them and in return they will continue to work hard and not quit.

There are newer employer reviews for Sobeys