There are newer employer reviews for Social Security Administration

SSA is a great place to be....IF you get the right position!

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Claims Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Social Security Administration

Pros

SSA is a fantastic place to work. However, you have to be a little lucky because your management staff will make all the difference in your experience. I've been blessed to have two wonderful management teams. It is truly a blessing to go to work each day and help people and get paid nicely. I have a bachelor's degree in sociology and my salary is over $70,000 and growing each year.

Cons

The biggest downside is that some managers love to micro-manage.

Treat your employees like adults. If your employees cringe when you walk by, you aren't doing a very good job.

213 Other Employee Reviews for Social Security Administration (View Most Recent)

A great job if you got in a few years ago

Former Employee - Service Representative in Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Service Representative in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at Social Security Administration

Pros

Very stable job, the feds aren't going out of business any time soon. Generous time off. Offer credit hours, which means for any over time you do it is vacation time..

Cons

They promise the world to you when you join about promotions, then you realize you work within a union and people with less skill and ambition will be promoted before you because they have been there longer. If you are expecting to an easy government job this place is not for you. Work loads are almost unmanageable, and quotas go up every year. They are only hiring 1 person to replace 3 that retire while the number of people applying for benefits is soaring.

The workload would not be as onerous if they had an integrated mainframe system for working case loads. Instead there is a patchwork of programs that do not communicate with each other and there seems to be dozens of them, it is unworkable. It also would be nice for people to know that the time to be hired was 2002-2005 after that you are out of luck for promotions because you need to serve a certain amount of time before you are eligible for promotion up the paygrade scale and the wave of retirements are happening now. So if you don't have a few years under your belt you are out of luck.

Move into 21 century thinking.

Current Employee - Teleservice Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Teleservice Representative in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Social Security Administration

Pros

The money and leave, provided they let you use the leave.

Cons

Some jobs are dead ends like teleservice reps. Management is usually poorly trained and afraid of their higher ups. Unfortunately where I am is controlled by vindictive female management. As a woman I am dissappointed in how they undermine and discredit those who offer opinions and new ideas.

Take advantage of available training. Accept new ideas. Treat employees as valued members of the team rather than adversaries.

There are newer employer reviews for Social Security Administration